About the CHEM 409 Guide
When looking at any source of information, consider its:
Accuracy or credibility
Authority or source
Purpose or possible bias
This page on Evaluating Information on the Internet has more tips on how to look for the elements above.
SAIT Library's Evaluating Information: : Are My Sources CRAAP? page
University of Toronto's E.J. Pratt Library Evaluating Web Resources links
Background information: dictionaries & encyclopedias
- Ullmann's encyclopedia of industrial chemistry (online and hardcopy)
- Kirk-Othmer encyclopedia of chemical technology (online and hardcopy) Properties and manufacture of substances
- Encyclopedia of chemical processing and design (hardcopy)
- Encyclopedia of corrosion technology (hardcopy)
- Biofouling: it's not just barnacles anymore Resource guide with key citations, web sites, and glossary
- This online collection of texts and handbooks is extensive and includes some of the most well known in chemistry and engineering: Lange's Handbook of Chemistry, Chemistry of the Elements, Hawley's Condensed Chemical Dictionary, etc. It is searchable by all text, title, author, and tables of contents. Knovel has also made many of its sources interactive with embedded analysis tools and the ability to export the data to the user's own files.
- Encyclopedia of chemical processing and design For designing or developing a process or product. Comparisons of the main process to other processes and equipment. Includes technologically important chemicals, processes and methods.
- Dictionary of Inorganic Compounds (online and hardcopy) Provides basic chemical properties. Follow up with the listed references if desired.
- Encyclopedia of polymer science and engineering (hardcopy)
- Polymeric materials encyclopedia (1996, hardcopy) Synthesis, properties and applications
Search these to find references to articles. Use the Full-Text Finder or full-text links to link you to the article.
If the article is not available through the database, search the catalogue for the journal name.
Many chemical engineering references. Compendex is a comprehensive interdisciplinary engineering database covering journal articles, technical reports, and conference papers and proceedings over the entire spectrum of engineering. To save records, searches, create folders and search alerts, sign up for a free personal account.
About 20% of this database covers Chemical Engineering. Journal and patent literature for chemistry and related disciplines. *Tip: limit the Document Type to Review.
Web of Science
References in all subject areas from Science Citation Index, Social Sciences Citation Index and Arts and Humanities Citation Index. A good database for references in all areas of the sciences.*Tip: search for your compound in the title, then limit the Document Type to Review.
Search scholarly/academic literature "articles, theses, books, abstracts and court opinions, from academic publishers, professional societies, online repositories, universities and other web sites."
- keyword and type of book. E.g. corrosion and encyclopedia
- To get more relevant results, click the subject headings in Catalogue Record tab for the book:
More journals can be found through the catalogue (box to the left), or search for e-journals using the "EJournals Search" box to the left.
Looking for articles from many journals? Use Article Databases (below.)
- Chemical and engineering news (C&EN) | Print | Electronic back issues. Electronic 2000 - present.
- Chemical engineering & technology
- Chemical engineering journal
- Green chemistry
- Green chemistry letters and reviews
- Industrial & engineering chemistry research
- Journal of chemical engineering data
Handbooks & Manuals
Handbooks and manuals are to be referred to for quick facts, e.g. formulas, physical properties, and solutions to common problems, etc.
- CRC Handbook of chemistry & physics (online and print)
- Handbook of chemical engineering calculations (2004, print)
- Handbook of green chemistry and technology (2002, print)
- An extensive collection of texts and handbooks that includes some of the most well known in chemistry and engineering: Lange's Handbook of Chemistry, Chemistry of the Elements, Hawley's Condensed Chemical Dictionary, Perry's Chemical Engineers' Handbook, Petroleum Products Handbook, Process Engineering Equipment Handbook, etc. It is searchable by all text, title, author, and tables of contents. Knovel has also made many of its sources interactive with embedded analysis tools and the ability to export the data to the user's own files.
- Riegel's handbook of industrial chemistry (2007, print)
- Corrosion engineering handbook (print)
Corrosion inhibitors: an industrial guide (online and print)
- Uhlig's corrosion handbook (online)
Free WYSIWYG wiki sites.
Suggested drawing tool: Accelrys Draw
Go to Options > Settings to increase default line weights, bond lengths, etc.
Students' Union Undergraduate Research Symposium examples (in U of C's institutional repository, DSpace). Browse by title
Pimp my poster (flickr group)
F1000 Biology and Medicine posters
Better Posters (tips and commentary on posters)
Layouts and templates
UofC Med www.ucalgary.ca/instructionalresources/Multimedia/posterprinting
Purrington C. 2009. Designing scientific posters. http://colinpurrington.com/tips/academic/posterdesign#templates
Microsoft office (Browse Posters or PowerPoint categories) http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates
Websites, articles, and guides
Purrington C. 2009. Designing scientific posters. http://colinpurrington.com/tips/academic/posterdesign
Stoss F. 2008. Poster presentations: designing effective posters. http://libweb.lib.buffalo.edu/guide/guide.asp?ID=155
Erren TC, Bourne PE. 2007. Ten simple rules for a good poster presentation. PLoS Computational Biology. 3(5):e102. doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.0030102
Carter M. 2013. Designing science presentations: a visual guide to figures, papers, slides, posters, and more.
See Part 6. Tips on visual elements are in Part 2; best tips for use of colour
Nicol AAM, Pexman PM. 2003 and 2010. Displaying your findings: a practical guide for creating figures, posters, and presentations. APA.
One chapter on posters. Covers the basics, has a checklist and samples. Call #: BF76.8 .N53 2010
Gosling PJ. 1999. Scientist's guide to poster presentations.
Lots of detail, many examples, dos & don’ts. Call#: Q179.94 .G67 1999
Large format printing (CHEM 409, 423, 553: optional)
Project Imagine (Main Campus) http://imagine.ucalgary.ca/printing
Bound & Copied, $5/sq. ft. http://www.su.ucalgary.ca/page/quality-education/academic-services/bound-and-copied
Multimedia Services (Health Sciences) http://ucalgary.ca/instructionalresources/Multimedia
Citing & Referencing Sources
- Engineering often uses the IEEE Style guide to document sources
See IEEE Citation Reference (for a complete Style Manual, see the Author Digital Tool Box)
- The ACS style guide (print)
Ch. 14 References from the style guide
5 page guide from Penn State's Physical & Mathematical Sciences Library
Basic Author guidelines from the American Chemical Society's Web page
- (Cancelled as of Dec. 31, 2016. See http://libguides.ucalgary.ca/citationtools for alternatives.)
RefWorks : Online personal database that organizes and creates references in several styles
- Do you know what “honesty in academics” is? Check out the U of C calendar for our Statement of Intellectual Honesty and Definitions of plagiarism, cheating, and academic misconduct.
Book a Workroom
The library has workrooms for group work or study. Some have computers or videotape players in them:
Book up to a week in advance (recommended)
3 hours per person per week
Forfeit the room after 10 minutes past the hour
Use the online form
Science Librarian Contact Information
The Science Librarians can help you find specific resources, focus your research topic, and suggest appropriate resources or search terms.
TFDL 438B on Tuesdays-Thursdays
Gallagher Library (ES Ground floor) on Mondays and Fridays
- Last Updated: Nov 7, 2017 6:29 PM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/guides/chem
- Print Page