Guide to key sources for research in Religion
Encyclopedias and Dictionaries: Islam
- Dictionary of Qur'anic Terms and Concepts
Call Number: BP 133 .M57 1987 | Location
- Encyclopaedia of Islam (12 vols) - 2nd edition
- also available in print: Call Number: DS37 .E5 1960 | Location
- Encyclopaedia of Islam 3rd ed. - "includes comprehensive coverage of Islam in the twentieth century and of Muslim minorities all over the world."
- First Encyclopaedia of Islam 1913 - 1936 (9 vols)
Call Number: DS 37 .E5 1987 | Location
- entries are listed under the transliterated Arabic term. A register of subjects in English with corresponding Arabic term is found in the Shorter Encyclopedia of Islam (Call Number: DS 37 E52 1974 | Location)
- Encyclopedia of Islam and the Muslim World - " This encyclopedia looks at Islam's role in the modern world, doing so in context of the religion's history and development over the last 13 centuries. Contains thematic articles, biographies of key figures, definitions, illustrations, maps and more."
- Encyclopedia of the Modern Middle East and North Africa - "With nearly 600 new entries and 1,000 updates, this second editon reflects the far-reaching changes the Middle East has undergone in recent years, making it more relevant and necessary than ever before. Covers the modern history of the Middle East and North Africa, with major sections on Colonialism and Imperialism, the World Wars, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and the United Nations' involvement in the region. Each country in the region is reviewed, detailing its population, economy, and government."
- Encyclopaedia of the Qur'an - also available in print (5 vols)
Call Number: BP 133 .E53 1987 | Location
- Encyclopedia of Women and Islamic Cultures
- The New Cambridge History of Islam
- The New Encyclopedia of Islam
Call Number: BP 40 .G42 2013 | Location
- Oxford Dictionary of Islam
- Oxford Encyclopedia of the Islamic World (6 vols)
Call Number: DS 35.53 .094 2009 | Location
- Last Updated: Jan 16, 2018 3:02 PM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/guides/religion
- Print Page