This is a guide to research resources for east and south Asian studies.
Listed below are Research Databases particularly useful for Asian Studies. These databases include journal articles, book chapters and in some cases include the full text of the item. See Online Resources for a complete list. Databases in many other subject areas can also be helpful, browse Online Resources by subject. See also Summons for a quick search of both books and journal articles.
- Bibliography of Asian Studies - key index to Asian studies articles
- China Academic Journals - searchable full text archive of Chinese journals
- JSTOR - full-text searchable archive of over 1400 journals including 73 titles for Asian Studies. Coverage begins at the start of each journal and stops with 3-5 years of the present.
- Project Muse - full-text of over 34 Asian studies journals
- eHRAF - updates the microfom HRAF (Human Relations Area Files) collection. The microfilm collection contains a wealth of material for Asia; over 19,000 pages of texts for China, over 6,000 for Korea. Eventually all microform files will be converted to electronic format. Currently ehraf contains full-text of primary source documents for over 44 Cultures in Asia, including 64 texts on Korea.
There are also a number of free databases on the web that are very useful for locating information on various aspects of Asian Studies:
- South and Southeast Asian Art and Archaeology Index (ABIA) - very comprehensive databases listing books and articles
- Annual Bibliography of Oriental Studies - full text searchable database covering books and articles in Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and English published since 1981. Need to have Chinese fonts to view the non-English records
- British Library of Development Studies - country profiles section creates search in this library's catalogue for books and articles on the selected country." Europe's most comprehensive research collection on development issues, providing an unparalleled range and depth of coverage." Provides links to free full-text, extensive coverage for Asia.
- Cooperative Annotated Bibliography of Hindu law and Dharmasastra
- Eldis.org - over 26,000 full-text documents on development policy, including many of Asia
- Google Scholar - Google Scholar enables you to search specifically for scholarly literature, including peer-reviewed papers, theses, books, preprints, abstracts and technical reports from a wide variety of disciplines.
- Population Index - provides author, subject and geographic access to journals and books on all aspects of population studies (fertility, migration etc.) Covers works published from 1986 to 2000.
- International Society for Environmental Ethics Bibliography
- Korean History: a bibliography
- SASI: The Southeast Asian Serials Index
- Southeast Asian Archaeology - over 4400 reference - need to sign up to get access
- Virtual Vietnam Archive - includes fulltext for many articles and government documents
- Women's Human Rights Resources
Bibliography on East Asian Religion and Philosophy: Call Number: BL 51 B748 2001 Location
Bibliography of Hindi Literature in English Translation
Bibliography of New Religious Movements in Primal Societies: Call Number: BL 80 T87 1977 Location - v.4 Europe and Asia
South Asia Diaspora comprehensive listing of works on South Asians worldwide. Can search by region or by topic
South Asian Civilizations: a bibliographic synthesis Call Number: DS 339 P46 1981 Location - though published in 1981, this is an excellent resource for locating books and journal articles on any topic on South Asia
National Bibliography of Indian Literature - "The National Bibliography of Indian Literature (NBIL) is a compilation of works "of literary merit, and important and significant books on Philosophy, Religion, History and the other aspects of the Humanities." The Bibliography covers the period from 1901-1953."
Women in China: a selected and annotated bibliography: Call Number: HQ 1767 W44 1984 Location
- see also Bibliography of Women in China and Gender and Sexuality in Pre-Modern China: Bibliography of Materials in Western Languages
- Last Updated: Nov 7, 2017 6:37 PM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/guides/asian
- Print Page