Career Services Degree Profiles
These degree profiles look at potential jobs, key skills & atributes, associations & professional development and great books which relate to each degree and its potential career path.
Italian Studies is concerned with the multidisciplinary examination of Italian language, literature, culture, art and history.
Key Skills & Knowledge
Understand Italian language: Comprehensive knowledge of the Italian language: grammar and vocabulary; ensuring accuracy, conciseness and clarity of written information.
Language: Aptitude for language and acquisition; understanding of phonetics and ability to imitate sounds; command of grammar and syntax; understanding of language structures.
Editing skills: Seeing patterns in written information; extracting salient points.
Synthesis and analysis: Critical and analytical thinking: observation and decision-making; interpretation; literary analysis.
Research skills: Information retrieval; presenting material in clear and easy to read written format; data collection; process and synthesize vast amounts of data and apply where relevant; clearly explain research results.
Cross-cultural communication: Intercultural awareness; knowledge and appreciation of other cultures; multi-cultural appreciation.
Public speaking and communication skills: Ability to influence and persuade others.
Sample Job Titles
Please note some of these positions may require further training, certification or education. Check out the occupational profiles to review the full details for the occupations that interest you at alis.alberta.ca/occinfo
- Bilingual Customer Support
- Community Worker
- Cultural Events Coordinator
- ESL Teacher
- Film Director
- Foreign Service Officer
- Guidebook Writer
- Hotel Front Desk Coordinator
- Immigration Officer
- Import or Export Specialist
- International Banking Officer
- International Marketing Specialist
- International Relations Consultant
- Market Research
- Public Relations
- Software Translator
- Teacher / Professor
- Tour Guide
- Arts & Culture
- Communications Corrections
- Culture & Recreation
- Financial, Insurance & Real Estate
- International Agencies
- Museums & Heritage
- Non-Profits & NGOs
- Oil & Gas
- Policy & Planning
- Public Relations
- Travel, Tourism & Hospitality
Associations & Professional Development
- Association of Translators and Interpreters of Alberta: http://www.atia.ab.ca/
- Association of Translators and Interpreters of Ontario: http://www.atio.on.ca/
- Canadian Translators, Terminologists and Interpreters Council: http://www.cttic.org/
- Canadian Society for Italian Studies: http://canadiansocietyforitalianstudies.camp7.org/
- European Community Studies Association (ECSA): http://www.ecsa-c.ca/
- International Association of Professional Translators and Interpreters: http://www.aipti.org/eng/
- International Studies Association: http://www.isanet.org/
- Society for Italian Historical Studies: http://www.italianhistoricalstudies.org/
Did you know?
Formal Career Assessments like the Strong Interest Inventory and the Myers Briggs Type Indicator can be helpful tools for your career development. These assessments have been used for decades to help individuals choose a major, explore career options during and upon completion of a degree and to further understand yourself in relationship to the world of work. Inquire with Career Services if you are interested in these formal assessments.
- Last Updated: Feb 6, 2018 4:29 PM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/guides/career-services/degree-profiles
- Print Page