Career Services Degree Profiles
These degree profiles look at potential jobs, key skills & atributes, associations & professional development and great books which relate to each degree and its potential career path.
Science, Technology & Society
Science, Technology and Society scholars examine how science and technology shape society while social forces simultaneously work to shape science’s potential and technology’s limitations.
Key Skills & Knowledge
Public relations: Knowledge of the role of public relations including how to develop a communications plan, write for various audiences and media; mediation between specialized areas within institutions; working under tight deadlines.
Communications theory: Understanding of changes in communications technology over the centuries; communications media and their impact on society; development of mass media and their relevance to Canadian culture.
Communication: Clear and persuasive communication; explaining, writing and presenting information succinctly; public speaking; compiling reports and essays; debating and negotiating; technical writing; reporting and editing skills; attention to detail.
Interpersonal: Influencing and persuading individuals and groups; aptitude for leadership; cultural sensitivity with an ability to relate to people from different backgrounds.
Research: Qualitative and quantitative research; capacity to write many reports and fluctuate between reflective or persuasive style; data collection, processing and synthesis of vast amounts of data; interpretation of research and data.
Sample Job Titles
Please note some of these positions may require further training, certification or education. Check out the occupational profiles to review the full details for the occupations that interest you at alis.alberta.ca/occinfo
- Advertising Coordinator
- Archivist / Curator
- Business Analyst
- Campaign Manager
- Communications Consultant
- Environmental Educator
- Human Resources Professional
- Information Officer
- Intelligence Services Officer
- Legislative Aide
- Market Research Analyst
- Policy Analyst
- Policy Interpreter / Reviewer
- Researcher/Research Assistant
- Public Relations Specialist
- Stakeholder Relations Advisor
- Teacher / Professor
- Technical Writer
- Webpage Developer
- Culture & Recreation
- Health Care & Social Services
- Historical Preservation
- Information Development
- Information Technology
- Library Science
- Market Research
- Project Management
- Public Administration
- Public Relations
- Research Granting Agency
- Science Museums
- Scientific Policy & Development
- Social Services
- Technological Forecasting
- Technology Research & Development
Associations & Professional Development
- Association of Canadian Publishers: www.publishers.ca
- Calgary Council for Advanced Technology: www.ccat.org/
- Canadian Association of Journalists: www.caj.ca
- Canadian Authors Association: www.canauthors.org
- Editors' Association of Canada: www.editors.ca
- European Society for the Study of Science and Technology: www.easst.net/
- International Association for Science, Technology & Society (IASTS): nasts.org/
- National Communication Association: www.natcom.org
- Professional Writers Association of Canada: www.pwac.ca
- Society for Social Studies of Science (4S): www.4sonline.org/
- Society for Technical Communications (STC) Alberta Chapter: www.stcwestcoast.ca
- The Canadian Public Relations Society (CPRS): www.cprs.ca
- The International Association of Business Communicators (IABC): www.iabc.com
Did you know?
Formal Career Assessments like the Strong Interest Inventory and the Myers Briggs Type Indicator can be helpful tools for your career development. These assessments have been used for decades to help individuals choose a major, explore career options during and upon completion of a degree and to further understand yourself in relationship to the world of work. Inquire with Career Services if you are interested in these formal assessments.
Clubs on Campus:
- Last Updated: Feb 6, 2018 4:29 PM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/guides/career-services/degree-profiles
- Print Page