Career Services Degree Profiles
These degree profiles look at potential jobs, key skills & atributes, associations & professional development and great books which relate to each degree and its potential career path.
Students in Film Studies develop ways of considering and writing about the aesthetic, institutional, and cultural dimensions of the cinema; they gain knowledge about policy and economic constraints in the film industry; and they acquire skills to discuss our cinematic heritage. A degree in Film Studies will allow graduates to write about film, and to work in various aspects of the industry from production to film festivals. Graduates with a Film Studies degree can also pursue graduate studies at various institutions.
Key Skills & Knowledge
Research: Qualitative and quantitative research and information synthesis; measure the effects of media, developing market research.
Communication: Presentation and public speaking skills; writing and editing skills.
Organization: Planning and managing skills, able to meet deadlines; careful attention to detail.
Critical thinking/Analytical: Awareness of cultural values and messages, as well as institutional values; critical, creative and analytical thinking; social and political understanding; cultural perspective.
Film Theory: Critical cinema analysis; appreciation of aesthetics.
Teamwork: Leadership and the ability to persuade and influence others.
Sample Job Titles
Please note some of these positions may require further training, certification or education. Check out the occupational profiles to review the full details for the occupations that interest you at alis.alberta.ca/occinfo
- Audiovisual (AV) Technician
- Cinema Manager
- Communications Officer
- Dialogue Editor
- Documentary Filmmaker
- Editor/Editorial Assistant
- Entertainment Agent
- Film Archivist
- Film Critic
- Film Director
- Film Journalist
- Grant Writer/Administrator
- Lighting Designer
- Location Scout/Manager
- Manuscript Reader
- Marketing/Promotions Manager
- Media Coordinator
- Moving Image Archivist
- Multimedia Designer
- Multimedia Producer/Sound Technician
- Negative Cutter
- Professional Tutor
- Publishing Representative
- Research Analyst/Assistant
- Scene Designer
- Script Writer
- Sound Designer
- Speech Writer
- Stage Manager
- Story Editor
- Teacher / Instructor
- Technical Writer
- Theatre Owner/Director
- Trade Show Supervisor
- Video Producer
- Web Developer
- Arts and Entertainment
- Broadcasting – Radio & TV
- Cultural Management
- Film Archives & Libraries
- Film Festivals
- Film Review & Criticism
- Media – Electronic and Print
- Production Companies
- Public Policy
Associations & Professional Development
- Broadcast Film Critics Association: http://www.bfca.org/about.php
- Calgary Society of Independent Filmmakers: http://csif.org/csif/
- Canadian Film and Television Production Association: http://www.cftpa.ca/
- CFC (Canadian Film Centre): http://www.cfccreates.com/about_us/index.php
- Cultural Human Resources Council: http://www.culturalhrc.ca/index-e.asp
- Directors Guild of Canada: http://www.dgc.ca
- Film Studies Association of Canada: http://www.filmstudies.ca
- International Association of Women in Radio and Television: http://iawrt.org/
- International Film Music Critics Association: http://filmmusiccritics.org/
- Director’s Guild of Canada: http://www.dgc.ca/
- Film Studies Association of Canada: http://www.filmstudies.ca/
- National Film Board of Canada: http://www.nfb.ca/
Did you know?
Formal Career Assessments like the Strong Interest Inventory and the Myers Briggs Type Indicator can be helpful tools for your career development. These assessments have been used for decades to help individuals choose a major, explore career options during and upon completion of a degree and to further understand yourself in relationship to the world of work. Inquire with Career Services if you are interested in these formal assessments.
Clubs on Campus: University of Calgary Film Society
- Last Updated: Feb 6, 2018 4:29 PM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/guides/career-services/degree-profiles
- Print Page