What's in this guide
1. Identifying sources to look at
2. Finding keywords for searching
3. Citing in AAA
What is plagiarism?
(From Ashley Kate Branch's Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/pin/267119821623239161/)
Plagiarism is "presenting borrowed ideas or wording as if they were your own" (University of Calgary Student Success Centre, 2012). Whether the act of plagiarism is intentional or accidental, the consequences are very serious.
Ways to avoid plagiarism:
- Cite your sources both within the text of your paper as well as in a reference list at the end.
- Hand in original assignments for each class.
- When taking notes from a source, re-write the ideas in your own words (avoid cut-and-paste) -- unless you plan on using it as a quote.
- When citing someone else's exact words, use quotation marks AND cite the source. Quote sparingly.
- Paraphrase properly: make sure you understand the gist, look away, and rewrite in your own words. Think about how this idea fits into the larger scheme of your paper. You still need to cite even though you're not using the author's exact words.
Term paper: Industrial Food regime
Make sure you address the key questions!
Library research can only help you gather information and others' opinions, but it's up to you to frame the essay.
Books and e-books
Think about terms related to "industrial food regime" - themes, theories and ideas
Look at the subject headings of relevant books:
These subject headings provide you with more search words to incorporate into your search.
Write, edit, cite
The Student Success Centre has great online resources for structuring and organizing, grammar, and editing.
Your professor has specified the American Anthropological Association citation style for this assignment. Check out my simplified guide to citing with AAA.
How to find keywords
Is it relevant?
Read the abstract.
Look at the subject terms (these indicate the main focus of the article).
Once you find one good article, look in the bibliography or works cited list at the end to find more.
- Last Updated: Nov 7, 2017 6:38 PM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/guides/anthropology
- Print Page