Guide to Research Resources for Philosophy
Find Articles: Social and Political Philosophy
Key databases are:
SocIndex with Fulltext - core database for sociology journals
Canadian Reference Centre - good for Canadian topics
LegalTrac - useful for any material related to law (Note subject guide search using subject term "Political Philosophy"
JSTOR - complete full-text back issues of more than 600 scholarly journals including a number of Philosophy of Science titles such as British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, Philosophy of Science, PSA: Proceedings of the Biennial Meeting of the Philosophy of Science Assocation and Science, Technology and Human Values
Primary Resources: Philosophy
- Encompasses the largest collection of full-text electronic editions in philosophy in the world. Provides full text access and cross text searching to definitive editions of classic works. Includes the works of Descartes, Boyle, Locke, Leibniz, Hume, Kant and Berkeley.
Early English Books (EEBO)
- over 125,000 titles listed in Pollard and Redgrave's Short-Title Catalogue (1475-1640), Wing's Short-Title Catalogue (1641-1700), the Thomason Tracts (1640-1661), and the Early English Tract Supplement - all in full digital facsimile from the Early English Books microfilm collection.
Eighteenth Century Collections Online
- every significant English-language and foreign-language title printed in the United Kingdom, along with thousands of important works from the Americas, between 1701 and 1800. Consists of books, pamphlets, broadsides, ephemera. When completed, the full collection will include nearly 150,000 titles and more than 33,000,000 pages of searchable material.
Literature Online - A fully searchable library of more than 350,000 works of English and American poetry, drama and prose, 123 full-text literature journals, and other key criticism and reference resources. Includes works by and about various philosophers including 18th century philosophers from the 18th century such as David Hume and a number of authors from the 17th centuries.
Digital Text collections held by Libraries such as Benthan manuscripts at University College Longon.
See also PhilSource - collection of primary texts - include Presocratic writings, Socrates, Descartes, Spinoza, Kant, Nietzsche, Leibnitz, Vico, Wittgenstein etc.
Encyclopedias and Dictionaries: Social and Political Philosophy
- Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy - digital version of the major multivolume encyclopedia for Philosophy
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy - this refereed scholarly resource provides up-to-date indepth coverage of Philosophy and includes links to scholarly web resources
- Encyclopedia of Political Anarchy
Call Number: HX 830 .G39 1999| Location
- Routledge International Encyclopedia of Women: Global Women's Issues and Knowledge 4 vols
Call Number: HQ 1115 R684 2000 | Location
Handbooks: Social and Political Philosophy
- Last Updated: Nov 7, 2017 5:13 PM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/guides/phil
- Print Page