ATLA Religion Database
This is the major index to Religious studies articles. Full text is available for a number of the journals.z
BILDI - index to books on journal articles on Biblical Studies
Elenchus of Biblica, formerly called Elenchus Bibliographicus Biblicus
Call Number: BS 410 E52 | Location:
New Testament Abstracts
- Also available in print: BS 410 N45
See "Biblical Translation" in the General section
Old Testament Abstracts,
- also available in print: BS 410 O42
Linguistics Abstracts Online, 1981-
- Excellent source to locate articles on Bible translation.
MLA Bibliography, 1963-
- Major index for literature and linguistics, good source to locate articles on Bible translation.
Bible Translations: Dictionaries
Encyclopaedia Judaica 16 vols
- also available in print BM 50 E52 1971 (1st ed) and BM 50 E52 2007 (2nd ed)
The Encyclopedia of Christianity
Call Number: BR 95 E8913 | Location
- See section "Bible Versions"
Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church
Call Number: BR 95 08 1974 | Location
The Anchor Bible Dictionary 6 vols
Call Number: BS 440 A53 1992 |Location
- See v. 6 "Versions" and "Theories of Translation"
Dictionary of Biblical Interpretation
Call Number: BS 440 D49 1990 | Location
- See sections "Translation, Problems of" and "Translations"
Dictionary of the Bible 5 vols
Call Number: BS 440 H32 | Location
- Edited by James Hastings
- See v. 4 under "version"
Dictionary of Biblical Interpretation 2 vols
Call Number: BS 500 D53 1999 | Location
- See section "Translation"
Encyclopedia of Missions
Call Number: BV 2040 E49 1975 | Location
- See sections "Bible Translation" and "Bible Versions"
Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics 14 vols
Call Number: P 29 E48 2006 | Location:
- See v. 1 under "Bible", "Bible Translation into Lesser Known Languages and "Bible Translation Ancient Versions"
Routledge Encyclopedia of Translation Studies
- See under "Bible, Jewish and Christian"- provides good overview of the history of translations and linguistic and sociolinguistic issues
Dictionary of Biblical Tradition in English Literature
Call Number: PR 149 B5 D52 1992 | Location
See esp. "The English Bible: A Brief History of Translation p. 875-880
- links to a variety of resources on Bible translation
Ethnologue - information on the
world's languages including dates of earliest and most recent publications of
Resources Pages for Biblical
Studies - see esp. "Bible Texts" and "Linguistic Resources"
United Bible Societies - provides translation tools and includes link to Newsletter TICTALK which provides information on recent trends and publications that pertain to Bible translations
Biblical Translation: Handbooks
Multipurpose Tools for Bible Study
BS 417 D34 1993 | Location
Handbook of Biblical Criticism
BS 417 S67 1981 | Location
- Good source of definitions for terms and concepts in the field of Biblical Studies
Cambridge history of the Bible 3vols
Call Number: BS 445 C3 | Location
- Good overview of the various translations
- See "Bible and the Missionary" v.3 p. 383-407
A Synopsis of the Four Gospels in a New Translation
Call Number: BS 2560 073 1982 | Location:
Biblical Bibliography 1930-1983 3 vols
Call Number: BS 410 L34 1972 | Location
- See Table of Headings section at the back of v.3 under "Translations of the Bible"
Historical Catalogue of the Printed editions of the Holy Scripture
Call Number: BS410 .B73 H45 1968 | Location
- Guide to the translations of the Bible in all languages
An Introductory Bibliography for the Study of Scripture
Call Number: BS 600.2 F56 1990 | Location
Classified Bibliography to the Septuagint
Call Number: BS 744 B74 1973 | Location
- Last Updated: May 18, 2018 3:36 PM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/guides/religion
- Print Page