Find Articles: Science and Philosophy
Key databases are:
History of Science, Technology and Medicine -" integrates four premier tools for historians: Isis Current Bibliography of the History of Science , Current Bibliography in the History of Technology , Bibliografia Italiana di Storia della Scienza , and citations from the Wellcome Library for the History and Understanding of Medicine (incorporating the former Wellcome Bibliography for the History of Medicine)."
ISISCB Explore - over 40 years of citations from the ISIS Bibliography of the History of Science
JSTOR - complete full-text back issues of more than 600 scholarly journals including a number of Philosophy of Science titles such as British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, Philosophy of Science, PSA: Proceedings of the Biennial Meeting of the Philosophy of Science Assocation and Science, Technology and Human Values
Primary Resources: Philosophy
- Encompasses the largest collection of full-text electronic editions in philosophy in the world. Provides full text access and cross text searching to definitive editions of classic works. Includes the works of Descartes, Boyle, Locke, Leibniz, Hume, Kant and Berkeley.
Early English Books (EEBO)
- over 125,000 titles listed in Pollard and Redgrave's Short-Title Catalogue (1475-1640), Wing's Short-Title Catalogue (1641-1700), the Thomason Tracts (1640-1661), and the Early English Tract Supplement - all in full digital facsimile from the Early English Books microfilm collection.
Eighteenth Century Collections Online
- every significant English-language and foreign-language title printed in the United Kingdom, along with thousands of important works from the Americas, between 1701 and 1800. Consists of books, pamphlets, broadsides, ephemera. When completed, the full collection will include nearly 150,000 titles and more than 33,000,000 pages of searchable material.
Literature Online - A fully searchable library of more than 350,000 works of English and American poetry, drama and prose, 123 full-text literature journals, and other key criticism and reference resources. Includes works by and about various philosophers including 18th century philosophers from the 18th century such as David Hume and a number of authors from the 17th centuries.
Digital Text collections held by Libraries such as Benthan manuscripts at University College London.
See also PhilSource - collection of primary texts - include Presocratic writings, Socrates, Descartes, Spinoza, Kant, Nietzsche, Leibnitz, Vico, Wittgenstein etc.
Encyclopedias and Dictionaries: Science and Philosophy
- Dictionary of concepts in the philosophy of science
Call Number: A 174.7 D87 1988 | Location
- Encyclopedia of Life Sciences - lengthy articles on topics in the life sciences including philosophy of: biological classification, molecular biology, selection, ecology and life sciences
- Encyclopedia of Time: Science, Philosophy, Theology and Culture 3 vols
Call Number: BD638 .E525 2009 | Location
- Encyclopedia of War and Ethics
- Historical Dictionary of Descartes and Cartesian Philosophy
Call Number: B 1831 H57 2003 | Location
- Absolutism and the Scientific Revolution 1600-1720: a biographical dictionary
Call Number: D 205 A27 2002 | Location
- Routledge International Encyclopedia of Women: Global Women's Issues and Knowledge 4 vols
Call Number: HQ 1115 R684 2000 | Location
- see especially "Science: Feminist Philosophy" v. 4 p. 1789-1793 and Chapter 13 " Feminist Epistemology and Philosophy of Science
- Philosophy of Science A-Z
- Encyclopedia of Pseudoscience
Call Number: Q 157 E57 2000 | Location
- The Skeptic Encyclopedia of Pseudoscience
Call Number: Q 172.5 P77 S56 2002 | Location
- The Philosophy of Science: An encyclopedia
Call Number: Q174.7 .P55 2006 | Location
- Encyclopedia of Science, Technology and Ethics 4 vols
- also available in print Q175.35 .E53 2005
- Companion Encyclopedia of the History and Philosophy of the Mathematical Sciences 2 vols
Call Number: QA 21 . C636 1994 | Location
Websites: Science and Philosophy
- Last Updated: Jul 12, 2018 1:35 PM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/guides/phil
- Print Page