Bachelor of Health Sciences
Library Workshop F2020
- Covid-19 this semester at the library
- Getting physical materials from the library
- How Information is Organized
- Critical Thinking
- Individual Assignment #1 (Google Scholar and Scopus)
- Group Assignment #2 (Pubmed Clinical Queries and Pubmed Advanced Search)
Sample search approach for Individual Assignment 1
Bhutta, Zulfiqar A., et al. “Evidence-Based Interventions for Improvement of Maternal and Child Nutrition: What Can Be Done and at What Cost?” The Lancet, vol. 382, no. 9890, Aug. 2013, pp. 452–77. DOI.org (Crossref), doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(13)60996-4.
- Setting up Google Scholar
- Cited By (search within "iodine supplementation")
- Related Articles (not necessarily newer than original article, but similar relevancy, keywords, authors and topic)
- Use subject headings and key words to learn more
- Search article
- Click on References - View in Search Results Format
- SciVal Topic Prominence
- Cited by - Analyze Results
- Related documents
- Keyword Search (one concept per line)
- "maternal nutrition" AND "food insecurity"
Sample search approach for Group Presentation 1
For my example, I am researching the etiology of Lewy Body Dementia (LBD)
Pubmed Clinical Queries - broad search "lewy body dementia" - limit clinical study category to Etiology. Be sure to look at the Genetics column.
Pubmed Advanced Search:
("lewy body dementia"[Title/Abstract] OR LBD[Title/Abstract]) AND (etiology[Title/Abstract] OR pathogenesis[Title/Abstract] OR origin[Title/Abstract] OR "family history"[Title/Abstract] OR genetic*[Title/Abstract] OR intrinsic[Title/Abstract] OR extrinsic[Title/Abstract] OR idiopathic[Title/Abstract])
Think about the possible keywords that you can search that would contribute to the big picture of the etiology of your disease/condition you are learning more about.
Google Scholar Library Links
- Last Updated: Jan 13, 2021 7:24 AM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/guides/bhsc
- Print Page