Important Databases for Researching History
When researching topics in the field of history from 1450 onwards, the most important indexes for finding articles are:
- Historical Abstracts -- a very important resource for locating journal articles for topics from 1450 to date
- America: History and Life -- Useful when researching topics on the history and culture of the United States and Canada
Other databases that work well for researching in the field of history include:
- History of Science, Technology and Medicine -- journal articles, conference proceedings, books, book reviews, and dissertations in the history of science, technology, and medicine and allied historical fields.
- JSTOR -- an interdisciplinary database that includes full-text content of more than 1,400 academic journals, as well as thousands of primary sources
- Project Muse -- a source of complete, full-text versions of scholarly journals from many of the world's leading university presses and scholarly societies, with over 120 publishers currently participating. Since January 2012, they also have been including scholarly book content from these same publishers.
- Web of Science -- This database includes the Arts and Humanities Citation Index and can be an excellent resource for research in history. The resource is of most value when you are trying to find out what publications may have cited a particular book or article.
- CPI.Q Canadian Periodicals Index Quarterly -- An index that focuses on Canadian publications as well as some international publications with a focus on Canada, this resource is of particular interest when working on a topic in Canadian history. Publications date from 1980 to the present. Remember, to limit your search to peer-reviewed publications
Find Articles for History prior to 1450
If you are looking for research articles on topics between 400 AD and 1450 AD you should use one the following databases:
For research articles covering topics prior to 400 AD, try using:
Also check out the Bibliographies section of this guide.
- Last Updated: Jul 30, 2018 3:18 PM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/guides/HTST
- Print Page