A guide to library research for students in History
Databases Including Book Reviews
The main sources for reviews of history books are Historical Abstracts and America: History and Life. To find book reviews in these sources make sure you are using Advanced Search. Enter "book review" in the "document type" field. Then enter the authors name or title of the book in the Abstracts field. If using the title of the book it can help if you place it in " " so that it is treated as a phrase.
Any of the databases listed under the "Articles" tab of this guide will also work to find reviews.
Additonally, the following general databases can be used to find reviews of history books:
- Canadian Periodical Index Quarterly CPI-Q - good source if book was published Canada. Hint: Choose advanced search; search keywords from the book title and limit by document type by selecting "Book Reviews" from the document type drop down box
- CBCA Complete (Canadian Business and Current Affairs) - good source if book was published in Canada Hint: Select "Advanced Search", search by title and from the list of Search Options, Limit "Document Type" to "Review"
- Periodicals Index Online - international index to thousands of periodicals in the humanities and social sciences. Coverage is from the first issues(back to the 1700's) to 1990/1991. Hint: Select "Advanced Search", search by title and from the list of Search Options, Limit "Document Type" to "Review"
Review Only Sources
General Book Review Indexes
- Book Review Digest (Z 1219 B6) TFDL REF (1st floor) - covers 1905 to the present. Provides short excerpts of book reviews
- Book Review Index (Z 1035 A1 B64) TFDL REF (1st floor) - covers 1965 to the present. Provides citations only
- Combined retrospective index to book reviews in humanities journals, 1802 - 1974 (Z1035 A1 C62) TFDL REF (1st floor)
- New York Review of Books - searchable index of contents from 1963 to the present; full text of all reviews published since November 1996.
- Last Updated: Nov 7, 2017 5:33 PM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/guides/HTST
- Print Page