Databases - Archaeology
Databases are a great tool for locating scholarly articles. For information on Scholarly vs Popular Articles
Cross Cultural database on the world's prehistory
fulltext - indexed at the paragraph leve
- Studies of culture and society for a wide variety of cultures. Ethnographic material is searchable by culture and by subject.
- Includes fulltext of materials indexed (incexed at the parapraph level)
- prior to being produced online this was publlished on microfiche- the library has the complete microfiche collection. Consult this chart to see what is only available on microfiche
- Provides coverage of some 4300 periodicals with full-text of some 2600 peer-reviewed scholarly publications covering many academic areas of study, including social sciences, humanities, education, computer sciences, engineering, language and linguistics, arts & literature, medical sciences, and ethnic studies.
- Coverage varies with the journal, with some going back to the 1970's, but many not starting until the 1990's.
- Includes fulltext articles
- Includes image collection of photos of people, places, history, natural science, maps, and flags.
Google Scholar - great source for locating interdisciplinary articles
More Specialized Databases
- Abstracts of International Conservation Literature - "
- Archaeological Ethics Database - guide to books, articles, blogs, codes of ethics etc.
- BIAB British and Irish Archaeological Bibliography - "provides information about articles and books on the archaeology of Britain and Ireland, updated throughout the year with over 1,000 new references per annum"
- Digital Archaeological Record - links to articles and images and data sets
- MURA - (Austrialian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies ) - index to books and journal articles
- Nestor: Bibliography of Aegean Prehistory and Related Areas - " Aegean studies, Homeric society, Indo-European linguistics and related fields"
- NSW Archaeology Online - listing archaeological field survey projects, reports, theses etc conducted on the archaeology and heritage of New South Wales.
- Rock Art Studies Database - over 37,000 citations on rock art
- Zenon Dai - searchable list of books and articles in the Romisch-Germanischen-Kommission (RGK) . This institute, founded by the German Archaeology Institute in 1902, undertakes research on prehistory and early history of Europe from the earliest period up to the Middle Ages.
Also note these resources:
- Perseus Digital Library - history and culture of classical world includes art and archaeology
Scholarly vs Popular Journals
Chart explaining differences between a popular or scholarly journal
Which of the following are scholarly?
Online Archaeology Journals by subject
(Note Number of titles as of June 2015)
- Archaeology (70)
- Regions & Countries - Africa (84)
- Regions & Countries - Americas
- Regions & Countries - Asia & the Middle East
- Regions & Countries - Australia & Pacific Islands - Oceania (61)
- Regions & Countries - Europe
- Austria (5)
- Balkan Peninsula (27)
- Central Europe (10)
- Eastern Europe (5)
- Europe - General (17)
- France (24)
- Germany (13)
- Great Britain (34)
- Greece (12)
- Ireland (12)
- Italy (16)
- Mediterranean Region & Greco-Roman World (17)
- Northern Europe & Scandinavia (6)
- Russia & Former Soviet Republics (106)
- Spain & Portugal (27)
- Related Historical Sciences
- Last Updated: Jul 12, 2018 4:15 PM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/guides/archaeology
- Print Page