Education - Science education (Elementary)
This is the definition for environmental education as determined by the Ontario Ministry of Education:
Environmental education is education about the environment, for the environment, and in the environment that promotes an understanding of, rich and active experience in, and an appreciation for the dynamic interactions of:
- The Earth’s physical and biological systems
- The dependency of our social and economic systems on these natural systems
- The scientific and human dimensions of environmental issues
- The positive and negative consequences, both intended and unintended, of the
- Interactions between human-created and natural systems.
"From an educational perspective, science learning and environmental understanding effectively complement each other in two ways:
- The environment context can improve science learning
- Learning science can improve the ability of students to deal with environmental issues.
Another way of putting this is that studying science in the context of the environment is doubly productive. If shows how scientific knowledge and ways of thinking, coupled with the process of making decisions about our collective interaction with nature, can illuminate each other to the advantage of both."
-- from: Resources for Environmental Literacy by Environmental Literacy Council, National Science Teachers Association, p.xiii. (507.1 Res 2007)
More websites on Pinterest: Science - Environmental science for elementary grades
Keywords and subject headings to use in a database search, such as in ERIC, include:elementary, environmental education, outdoor education, science, science and society, sustainability, and ecology.
Keywords and subject headings to use when searching the catalogue about this topic, include: environmental education, outdoor education.
More titles listed on Pinterest: Science -Environmental science for elementary grades
- Last Updated: Apr 19, 2018 9:11 AM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/c.php?g=255368
- Print Page