More Information on Patents
- What every chemist should know about patents (from ACS' Committee on Patents and Related Matters, so it is U.S.-based, but the general info on what a U.S. patent looks like is useful. Also useful if applying for a U.S. patent.)
- Canadian Patent Database
CIPO's Canadian Patent Database: access over 75 years of patent descriptions and images (August 15, 1978 to present.) Search, retrieve and study more than 1,400,000 patent documents.
- Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO)
The Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO), a Special Operating Agency (SOA) associated with Industry Canada, is responsible for the administration and processing of the greater part of intellectual property in Canada. CIPO's areas of activity include: patents, trade-marks, copyrights, industrial designs, and integrated circuit topographies.
(CIPO)The Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO), a Special Operating Agency (SOA) associated with Industry Canada, is responsible for the administration and processing of the greater part of intellectual property in Canada. CIPO's areas of activity include: patents, trade-marks, copyrights, industrial designs, and integrated circuit topographies.
- US Patent and Trademark Office (US PTO)
Search for US patents and trademarks. Full text coverage from 1976; 1790-1975 is searchable by patent number and classification only. The PTO promotes the progress of science and the useful arts by securing for limited times to inventors the exclusive right to their respective discoveries (Article 1, Section 8 of the United States Constitution).
- Google Patents
Search more than seven million US patents.
Download and print PDF images of US patents. You must search using a patent number.
Fulltext and images of US patents beginning with patent number 4,000,000
- Patent Fetcher
Download and print PDF images of U. S. patents.
"The latest published US patent applications each week BEFORE the USPTO decision to grant/deny.".
- Delphion Research Intellectual Property Network
Search for and purchase international and US patents from Delphion, Inc. Users will need to register (it’s free) in order to view results. Users are responsible for all fees incurred should you choose to order a patent from Delphion.
UK Patent Office database
Over 30 million documents together with databases of documents from Japan, the World Intellectual Property Organization, the European Patent Office and from 19 European countries including Great Britain.
Japan Patent Office (Industrial Property Digital Library)
A searchable database of patent information held by the JPO.
Europe’s network of patent databases. Access provided to the European Patent Office, and The World Intellectual Property Organization. Tip for printing and viewing: Insert http://ep.espacenet.com, http://v3.espacenet.com, or other relevant esp@cenet server(s) into the Trusted Sites area of your browser. Make sure you enable cookies.
- CAMBIA PatentLens
"...an independent, public good global resource for increasing patent transparency. The Patent Lens contains patent documents from the European and United States patent offices and filed under the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) in a format that is fully integrated and searchable."
- IP Newsflash
"...search for patent families complete with their legal status based on INPADOC data."
Good for patent searching because it searches patents using all available synonyms of a substance. Click here for mobile site.
- SciFinder Scholar
SciFinder Scholar from Chemical Abstracts Service contains journal and patent literature (Chemical Abstracts) with references from 1907 - present. Information on accessing SciFinder Scholar.
A list of the countries, kinds of patents, and years covered is available at http://www.cas.org/expertise/cascontent/caplus/patcoverage/
- Patent Information User’s Group (PIUG)
"..a not-for-profit organization for individuals having a professional, scientific or technical interest in patent information."
- Scirus - retired
If the above sources do not provide you with the full-text of a patent, UofC faculty, students and staff may order patents directly from:
Grison Intellectual Property Services
P.O. Box 84123
Gatineau, QC J8P 7R8
TEL : (613)799-0958
TOLL FREE : 1-877-884-4774
FAX : (819)671-8506
Many of these are simply bibliographies or indexes that point one to translated materials.
- Chemical abstracts service source index(CASSI) (1907/69 - )
- The CASSI provides the full title of all abbreviated journals and proceedings indexed by Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) as well as giving the English title of a translated journal where one exists.
- List of English Translation Journals covered by Chemical Abstracts Service with their foreign language equivalent title.
- A guide to scientific and technical journals in translation (1972)
- Journals in translation (1976, 1988)
- Index translationum(Bibliography of translations)
- Print version. (1932 -1940, 1948 - 1986)
- Guide to scientific and technical journals in translation
- List of technical translations (1972)
- Consolidated index of translations into English (1969)
- CISTI has No. 1, 1989 to No. 1761, 1993
- British Library has No. 82, 1948 to No. 2113, 1985 (possibly to 1988) - unavailable till July 2012 due to asbestos remediation
- Translation monthly (1955 - 1958)
- Toxnet databases contain synonyms
- Electronic translation tools: A list from the University of Iowa
- Translated Russian Journals: A list of Russian journals and their corresponding English counterparts
- Translations Resources in the Caltech Libraries
- Intellectual Property Translation Services: List of translating companies worldwide
- Last Updated: Dec 8, 2017 9:43 AM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/guides/nans
- Print Page