Career Services Degree Profiles
Students develop conceptual understanding in the visual arts; a foundation of knowledge and practice of artistic self-sufficiency; and the creative processes of planning needed to carry out their various studio interests.
Key Skills & Knowledge
Art recognition and interpretation: Appreciate and promote aesthetics; compare and contrast works of art.
Organizational: Manage multiple projects simultaneous; possess a high level of discipline and internally motivated work ethic; organize information and materials; careful attention to detail and observation skills.
Creativity: Possess a strong grasp of the creative process; artistic conveyance of ideas; abstract conceptualization; knowledge of popular culture and artistic events.
Communication: Strong skills in artistic and written expression; adapt ideas to different audiences; think clearly and form arguments, present theories and ideas in visual formats; convey complex information and emotions.
Interpersonal: Working as part of a team; comfortable with scrutiny and criticism; feel at ease in new situations.
Qualitative and quantitative research and writing skills: Understand history and interpret cultures, evaluate research results and present findings; think critically and analytically.
Sample Job Titles
Please note some of these positions may require further training, certification or education. Check out the occupational profiles to review the full details for the occupations that interest you at alis.alberta.ca/occinfo
- Advertising Designer
- Art Director
- Art Therapist
- Arts Administrator
- Communications Coordinator
- Cultural Events Planner
- Desktop Publisher
- Display Designer
- Exhibit Designer
- Graphic Designer
- Historical Preservation Co-ordinator
- Museum Coordinator
- Prop Building
- Textile Designer
- Visual Merchandiser
- Visual Arts Consultant
- Advertising Firms
- Art & Design
- Art Conservation
- Art Galleries
- Art Therapy
- Arts Administration
- Auction Houses
- Community Centres
- Computer Graphics/Special Effects
- Graphic Art
- Hospitals and Health Care
- Marketing & Promotions
- Media – Electronic & Print
- Medical Illustration
- Publishing Houses
- Travel & Tourism
Associations & Professional Development
- Artists in Canada
- Canadian Art Therapy Association
- Canadian Council for the Arts
- Canadian Society of Painters in Water Colours
- Canadian Society of Decorative Arts
- Central Ontario Art Association
- Centre for Contemporary Canadian Art
- Cultural Careers Council Ontario
- Cultural Human Resources Council
- Decorative Artists in Canada
- Federation of Canadian Artists
- Graphic Designers of Canada
- Ontario Association of Art Galleries
- The Canadian Association of Professional Image Creators
- Universities Art Association of Canada
Did you know?
Formal Career Assessments like the Strong Interest Inventory and the Myers Briggs Type Indicator can be helpful tools for your career development. These assessments have been used for decades to help individuals choose a major, explore career options during and upon completion of a degree and to further understand yourself in relationship to the world of work. Inquire with Career Services if you are interested in these formal assessments.
- Last Updated: Apr 26, 2021 12:33 PM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/guides/career-services/degree-profiles
- Print Page