Career Services Degree Profiles
The Division of Music, School of Creative and Performing Arts at the University of Calgary is home to extraordinary opportunities for learning about music through research and creative activity. Academic preparation is at the heart of our programs, and is translated into performances, publications, compositions, engaging tradition and innovation, scholarship and improvisation.
Key Skills & Knowledge
Musical Knowledge: Experience with choral and instrumental music; read and write music; understanding of music history and theory; appreciation of aesthetics.
Technical: Operate various sound equipment and technology.
Presentation: Performance in front of diverse audiences of varied sizes, public speaking; conveying complex information; engage audience; Performance in front of diverse audiences, and varied sizes.
Organizational: Careful attention to detail; organize information and materials; self-discipline acquired through practicing.
Problem solving: Work independently and in a team, able to meet deadlines.
Research skills: Interpreting and evaluating research results.
Think creatively and critically: Creative expression and reasoning, memorization.
Sample Job Titles
Please note some of these positions may require further training, certification or education. Check out the occupational profiles to review the full details for the occupations that interest you at alis.alberta.ca/occinfo
- Acoustical Consultant
- Artistic Director
- Band Leader
- Chamber Musician
- Choir director
- Church Music Director
- Cultural administrator
- Folk Musician
- Instrument Designer/Manufacturer
- Music Librarian
- Music Software Designer
- Music Store Manager
- Notation Software Specialist
- Recording Artist
- Recording Engineer
- Sound Technician
- Sound/Recording Engineer
- Studio Musician
- Synthesizer Specialist
- Vocal Coach
- Advertising Companies
- Arts Administration
- Arts Councils
- Broadcasting – Radio and TV
- Choirs and Sound Recording Companies
- Concert Halls
- Dance Clubs/Companies
- Film & Entertainment
- Fundraising & Event Management
- Instrument Manufacturers
- Media Corporations/Organizations
- Music Producers/Studios
- Music Publishers/Distributors
- Performing Arts Centers
- Public Administration & Public Policy
- Radio/Video Companies
- Recording Studios
- Recreational Facilities
- Rehabilitation Centers
- Sound Engineering
- Symphony Orchestras
Associations & Professional Development
- Alberta Foundation for the Arts
- Alberta Music Industry Association
- Artists House Music
- Canadian Amateur Musicians
- Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Science
- Canadian Association for Music Therapy
- Canada Council for the Arts
- Canadian Federation of Musicians
- Canadian Federation of Music Teachers' Associations
- Canadian Independent Music Association
- Canadian Music Centre
- Canadian Music Educators’ Association
- Canadian Recording Industry Association
- Canadian University Music Society
- Careers in Music
- Cultural Human Resources Council
- Education Canada
- Music and Film in Motion
- Music Industries Association of Canada
- National Association for Music Education
- Society of Composers, Authors, and Music Publishers of Canada
- Songwriter’s Association of Canada
Did you know?
Formal Career Assessments like the Strong Interest Inventory and the Myers Briggs Type Indicator can be helpful tools for your career development. These assessments have been used for decades to help individuals choose a major, explore career options during and upon completion of a degree and to further understand yourself in relationship to the world of work. Inquire with Career Services if you are interested in these formal assessments.
Clubs on Campus:
- Last Updated: Aug 9, 2019 2:09 PM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/guides/career-services/degree-profiles
- Print Page