Career Services Degree Profiles
The University of Calgary Department of Linguistics is one of western Canada's leading centres for the scientific study of language.
Key Skills & Knowledge
Critical thinking/analytical: Identify patterns; Integrate knowledge from a number of disciplines; listen, read for meaning and social use; analyze in all aspects of language (sounds, words, sentences, meanings).
Awareness of the role of language in transmitting culture: Cross-cultural awareness related to language, social content and historical language change; awareness of the contribution of different cultures/languages to Western culture/language, awareness of how language conditions not only what we think but how we think.
Communication: Influence and persuade an audience or reader; writing carefully reasoned reports; Present theories and ideas in a comprehensive manner.
Knowledge of the structure and function of language: Understanding of language and linguistic theory; understanding of language development, structure, meaning and process understanding of syntax, phonetic, morphology, and semantic recognition.
Problem solving skills: Identifying problems, developing solutions; decision making skills.
Sample Job Titles
Please note some of these positions may require further training, certification or education. Check out the occupational profiles to review the full details for the occupations that interest you at alis.alberta.ca/occinfo
- Child development Facilitator
- Close Caption Technician
- Copy Editor
- Dialect/Voice Coach
- Editor (editing, proofreading, indexing)
- Educational Researcher
- ESL/Language Teacher
- Forensic Linguist
- Information Technology/Natural
- Intelligence Officer
- Language Materials Developer
- Lexicographer (terminology,
- Linguistic Policy Researcher
- Market Researcher
- Researcher/Research Assistant
- Speech Language Pathologist
- Speech Writer
- Standardized Test Developer and Evaluator
- Technical Writer
- Child development
- Educational Institutions
- ESL and foreign language teaching
- Foreign Affairs & Diplomatic Service
- HealthCare/Hospitals/Health Centres
- Hi-tech Industries
- Interpreting and Translation services
- Language Institutions
- Lexicography industry
- Market Research Institutions
- Marketing Firms
- Media Corporations
- Public Relations Companies
- Publishing Firms
- Software and Computational Companies
- Voice Recognitions Industry
Associations & Professional Development
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA): www.asha.org
- Canadian Association of Applied Linguistics: http://www.aclacaal.org
- Canadian Association of Speech Language Pathologists and Audiologists: http://www.caslpa.ca/
- Canadian Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences: http://www.fedcan.ca
- Canadian Linguistics Association: http://homes.chass.utoronto.ca/~cla-acl/
- Canadian Translators, Terminologists and Interpreters Council: www.cttic.org
- Editors’ Association of Canada: www.editors.ca
- Linguistic Association of Canada and the United States: http://lacus.weebly.com/
- Linguistic Society of America: http://www.lsadc.org
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council: http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/
- The Canadian Hearing Society: www.chs.ca
- The Linguist List: http://linguistlist.org
- VERBATIM – Students club for Linguistics: http://ling.ucalgary.ca/undergraduate/verbatim-undergraduate-linguistics-club
Did you know?
Formal Career Assessments like the Strong Interest Inventory and the Myers Briggs Type Indicator can be helpful tools for your career development. These assessments have been used for decades to help individuals choose a major, explore career options during and upon completion of a degree and to further understand yourself in relationship to the world of work. Inquire with Career Services if you are interested in these formal assessments.
Clubs on Campus: Verbatim the Undergraduate Linguistics Club
- Last Updated: Mar 27, 2019 3:01 PM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/guides/career-services/degree-profiles
- Print Page