Career Services Degree Profiles
Geophysics is the application of the laws and techniques of physics to uncover knowledge about the earth’s dynamic processes and subsurface structure.
Key Skills & Knowledge
Degree Specific: Understanding of global geophysics, exploration geophysics, mining geophysics, physical properties of rocks, geophysics field methods, gravity and magnetics, seismic theory and methods, geophysical data processing and geophysical interpretation.
Analytical and Mathematic: Ability to analyze data and process information using the disciplines of mathematics, physics, statistics computer science and geology.
Research and Surveying: Compile and synthesize large quantities of data, compile data into reports and presentations, conduct surveys.
Methods: Familiar with specific forms of geophysics such as seismology, geomagnetism, gravity and geophysical data-processing.
Problem solving: Solve complex problems, and think critically and logically about geophysical concepts and inquiries.
Sample Job Titles
Please note some of these positions may require further training, certification or education. Check out the occupational profiles to review the full details for the occupations that interest you at alis.alberta.ca/occinfo
- Earthquake Risk Assessor
- Environmental Analyst
- Environmental Health Specialist
- Geological and Geophysical Technologist
- Geological Survey Assistant
- Laboratory Technician
- Natural Hazard Monitoring Scientist
- Quality Assurance Assistant
- Research & Development Scientist
- Researcher/Research Assistant
- Systems Analyst
- Teacher /Professor
- Technical Writer
- Climate Modeling
- Data Processing Companies
- Engineering Geology
- Environmental Services/Consulting
- Geophysical Data Acquisition Companies
- Geological/Geophysical Surveying
- Laboratory Organizations
- Land Reclamation
- Mining Companies
- Municipal Planning Departments
- Natural Resource Organizations
- Oil & Gas Companies
- Post-Secondary Institutions
- Precious Metals Exploration
- Site Remediation
- Research organizations
Associations & Professional Development
Did you know?
Formal Career Assessments like the Strong Interest Inventory and the Myers Briggs Type Indicator can be helpful tools for your career development. These assessments have been used for decades to help individuals choose a major, explore career options during and upon completion of a degree and to further understand yourself in relationship to the world of work. Inquire with Career Services if you are interested in these formal assessments.
Clubs on Campus:
- Last Updated: Apr 26, 2021 12:33 PM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/guides/career-services/degree-profiles
- Print Page