BUSN - Graduate Programs in Business (MBA, EMBA, GEEMBA)
Industry classification (codes)
What are industry codes?
Industry codes provide a method of grouping businesses that produce the same or similar product and/or services and use a hierarchical structure, getting more specific at lower levels.
NAICS (North American Industry Classification System)
- replaced the SIC system in 1997
- uses a 6-digit hierarchical system
What is NAICS?
- The North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) is the standard used by Federal statistical agencies in classifying business establishments for the purpose of collecting, analyzing, and publishing statistical data.
NAICS code lookup (US Census Bureau) - find an industry code with description, concordances etc.
SIC (Standard Industrial Classification)
- older classification system (1980)
- uses a 4-digit hierarchical system
SIC code lookup (US Department of Labor)
- Last Updated: Aug 14, 2018 11:00 AM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/guides/emba
- Print Page