Digital Collection Projects
This guide is designed to assist students with completing digital collection class projects.
Working with archival materials
Here are some tips for handling archival materials.
- Please wash your hands before handing archival materials.
- Do not put lotion on your hands prior to using archival materials.
- Carry archival boxes and folders with both hands.
- Remove only one folder at a time from an archival box.
- Open the folder on a table.
- Turn the pages in a folder carefully.
- Don’t rush. Take your time turning pages. Older paper is easily ripped because it becomes brittle over time.
- Do not change the order of the pages in a folder.
- Do not apply stickie notes to any pages in a folder.
- Do not write on any of the pages in an archival folder.
- Acid-free bookmarks will be provided in the Reading Room. Use them to mark which pages you will be digitizing for your assignment.
- You are welcome to take photos of the pages in the folder so you can remember which pages you are choosing to digitize.
- Return the folder to the appropriate box when you have finished using it.
- Take note of which fonds, accession, box, and file number you will be digitizing for your assignment.
Thank you for helping us preserve these unique materials!
- Last Updated: Jan 17, 2018 11:50 AM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/guides/digitalcollections
- Print Page