Digital Collection Projects
This guide is designed to assist students with completing digital collection class projects.
Scanning Text and Images
Scanning with the Epson Expression 10000XL
- Turn on the scanner (power button on front left) place the first item on the glass in portrait orientation starting from the top left corner.
- Open the EPSON Scan program.
- Choose Office Mode (top right corner of program window)
- Image Type: Colour
- Document Source: Document Table
- Size: Letter (8.5x11 in)
- Orientation: Portrait
- Resolution: 300 dpi
- Image Option: None
- Speed scanning priority: uncheck
- Image adjustments: Leave as is
- Click the folder icon to the right of Scan
- In File Save Settings select Other and click Browse and select save location
- File Name Prefix
- Enter: GROUP#_ in window
- Change Start Number to 1
- Under Image Format save as: JPG
- Click OK
- In the EPSON SCAN window click Preview:
- Once Preview is complete, click Scan. If the file save path and numbering is correct, click OK and image will scan
- For subsequent images, put the new sheet in, click Preview and then Scan
- Repeat for as many times as needed.
- Go to file folder containing scanned files for next step: editing
Editing Scanned Images
Editing with Adobe Photoshop
- Open Adobe Photoshop CC 2015
- Navigate to your scanned images using: File (top menu bar) > Open
- Click on the crop tool (circled in red) in the tools window:
- Rotate the image if needed by going to Image in the menu bar and drag down to image rotation. Choose 180 or 90 degrees. Image > Image rotation > Arbitrary can be used if the image is not straight and needs to be rotated a small amount.
- The cropping border will appear around the exterior of the image. Using the corner or edge handles, click to grab the handle and drag the cropping window into place and press Enter.
- Lighten or darken the image using Brightness/Contrast. Go to Image > Adjustments > Brightness/Contrast to lighten or darken the image or enhance or reduce the contrast.
- Save and close the image.
- Last Updated: Nov 7, 2017 6:20 PM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/guides/digitalcollections
- Print Page