Digital Collection Projects
What is a digital exhibit?
Omeka is a content management system for online digital collections. We are using Omeka to build digital exhibits for your class projects.
Omeka is structured out of three different types of "building blocks":
Items: The individual building blocks of a collection. Sortable by type of item and tags.
Collections: Groups of items. The public can dig through collection to find items.
Exhibits: Exhibits contain interpretative text and rely on items as their building blocks. They usually highlight aspects of a collection based on some common theme. (For the Flywheel series, we are not creating exhibits).
The remainder of this guide will walk you through three steps:
- Logging in to Omeka
- Adding items to Omeka
1. Log in to Omeka
Log in to the University of Calgary Class Projects for Omeka site: https://omeka.ucalgary.ca/admin/users/login
Your entire class will be sharing one username and password - this information is in your class D2L site.
Please be aware that because you are sharing credentials, you have the ability to delete/edit your classmates' work: please be careful and courteous in Omeka!
2. Add an item in Omeka
- Go to Items in the left sidebar menu
- Select Add an Item
- Add metadata to the Item Type Metadata screen. You will be selecting Item Type>Poetry. For assistance in how to enter metadata, take a look at the class template for poetry as described here.
- Go to the Files tab
- Choose file and open.
- Repeat until you have added all files pertaining to that item.
- When done adding your metadata and uploading your images, select “Flywheel Reading Series” in the right sidebar and Add Item.
Repeat the steps above until all items are added for your exhibit.
- Last Updated: Nov 5, 2019 11:43 AM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/guides/digitalcollections
- Print Page