Learn the Library
Where to start?
The best place to start is your assignment description. Read it thoroughly to understand the assignment. If you're unsure about certain aspects, ask your instructor for clarification.
The assignment may provide topics to choose from, or you may be able to choose your own topic.
Choose a topic you are interested in! This will make the research more interesting and rewarding.
What to ask to formulate your research question?
Ask yourself these questions to help define your research question:
- What have people already written on?
- Are there attitudes or beliefs that need to be questioned or supported?
- What are some controversies?
- What interests you?
- From which lens/framework can you approach your topic? i.e. think of the "isms", think of ideologies, think of policy, politics, economics, sociology, emotion
- Revisit the Research Process visual on the homepage! It's a continual process.
The Struggle is Real
[Untitled research paper image]. Retrieved March 2, 2017 from
- Last Updated: Dec 4, 2020 12:18 PM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/guides/learnthelibrary
- Print Page