Religious Studies Web Guide
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
Use Menu options to link to Dictionaries and Encyclopedias by Religion
General - Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
- Concise Dictionary of Religion by Irving Hexham - very good glossary to religious studies concepts and people.
- DRH: Database of Religious History - "First comprehensive online quantitative and qualitative encyclopedia of religious cultural history"
- Encyclopedia of the Unusual and Unexplained
- Encyclopedia Mythica - extensive guide to mythology, folklore and religion. Can browse areas of mythology such as African, Chinese, Celtic, Arthurian Legend, folktales through the "Jump to area" drop-down box
- Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics
- Encyclopedia of Religion and Society - edited by William H. Swatos, Jr.
- Internet History Sourcebooks Project - note sections for Christian Origins, Roman Church, Crusades, Papacy, Medieval Church,India, Islam, Judaism and Religious Traditions of East Asia
- Index of Cults - compilation of information on cults prepared by the Watchman Fellowship
- Interdisciplinary Encylopedia of Religion and Science
- Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Overview of World Religions Project
- New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge by Philip Schaff - 13 vols. (from Classics Ethereal Library)
- The Skeptic's Dictionary
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Wissenschaftlich-Religionspadägogische Lexikon im Internet (WiReLex)
Ancient Religions - Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
- Encyclopedia of Egyptology - "high quality peer reviewed information on ancient Egypt" - over 130 articles including topics such as funerary rituals, judgment after death , anthropomorphic deities and animal cult rituals
- Harpers Dictionary of Classical Antiquities by Harry Thurston Peck
- Pauly Realencyclopadie der classischen Altertumswissenschaft - major encyclopedia for Classical Studies
Biblical Studies - Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
- And Adam Knew Eve: A dictionary of sex in the Bible by Ronald Ecker. Text is also available at this link.
- Baker's Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology -edited by Walter A. Elwell (1996)
- Bibelwissenschaft.de - extensive entries with bibliographies
- BIBL index - Index of Biblical Quotations and Allusions in Early Christian Literature - access is free but need to first create an account . Source: Biblia Patristica published texts and archives
- Comprehensive Aramaic Dictionary
- Dictionary of the Bible, dealing with its language literature and contents by Hastings (Christian Classics Ethereal Library)
- 4 Enoch: The Online Encyclopedia of Second Temple Judaism - " offers a comprehensive and authoritative introduction to Scholarly Research and fiction in Second Temple Judaism (including Samaritan and New Testament Studies)". Includes information on people, places and topics in Second Temple Judaism.
- A Greek-English Lexicon by Lidell and Scott
- Harpers Dictionary of Classical Antiquities by Harry Thurston Peck
- Holman Bible Dictionary edited by Trent Butler
- International Standard Bible Encyclopedia edited by James Orr (1915)
- Old Testament Hebrew Lexicon, edited by Brown, Driver and Briggs - links to text and word count from King James Old Testament and New American Standard
- New Testament Greek Lexicon - " based on Thayer's and Smith's Bible Dictionary plus others"
- Postmodern Bible Dictionary
- Encyclopaedia Biblica (from internet archive) - individual volumes available from ETANA v. 1 A-D / v. 2 E-K / v.3 L-P / v. 4 Q-Z
- Utensils in the Hebrew Bible
- Das wissenschaftliche Bibellexikon im Internet (WiBiLex) - very comprehensive encyclopedia to Biblica terms
Hinduism - Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
Islam -- Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
- Dictionary of Islamic Philosophical Terms - based on Dictionary of Muslim Philosophy by Prof. M. Saeed Sheikh
- Dictionary of Islam by Thomas Patrick Hughes (1895)
- Encyclopaedia Iranica - " comprehensive research tool dedicated to the study of Iranian civilization in the Middle East, the Caucasus, Central Asia, and the Indian subcontinent"
- Encyclopedia of Islam - in Turkish
- Major voices in Islam and Science - biographical information on key individuals in Islam and Science
- The Quranic Arabic Corpus includes Quran Dictionary, Quranic Grammar, Ontology of Concepts and links to other resources
- Shiite Encyclopedia by Ahlul Bayt Digital Islamic Library Project Team
Judaism - Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
- Biographies - from Chazzanut Online - information of Cantors
- A Dictionary of the Targumim, The Talmud Babli and Yerushalmi and the Midrashic Literature by Jastrow
- 4 Enoch: The Online Encyclopedia of Second Temple Judaism, and Christian and Islamic Orgins: Scholarship and Fiction, from the 15rh century to the present - project by Gabriele Boccaccini and Carlos A. Segovia - " offers a comprehensive and authoritative introduction to scholarly Research and fiction in Second Temple Judaism (including Samaritan and New Testament Studies)". Includes information on people, places and topics in Second Temple Judaism.
- Jewish English Lexicon
- Jewish Women Encyclopedia (Jewish Women's Archive) - 1700 biographies
- Holocaust Encyclopedia (United States Holocaust Memorial Museum)
- Jewish Encyclopedia - "complete contents of the 12 volume Jewish Encyclopedia which was originally published betweeen 1901-1906"
- Ma'agarim: The Historical Dictionary Project of the Academy of the Hebrew language
- The Yivo Encyclopedia of Jews in Eastern Europe
Taoism - Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
see also Language Dictionaries and Translators Webpage for links to a wide variety of language dictionaries
Ancient Languages/Semitic Languages
- Akkadian Dictionary
- Assyrian Dictionary of the Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago
- Compendious Syriac Dictionary - version from Tyndale archives
- Concise Dictionary of Akkadian - Addendum and Corrigenda
- Arabic- English Lexicon by Lane
- Comprehensive Aramaic Lexicon
- Hebrew and English Lexicon of the Old Testament: with an appendix containing the biblical Aramiac (1906) based on the Lexikon of Gesenius as translated by Robinson and edited by Brown with the assistance of Driver and Briggs
- Hebrew- Chaldee Lexicon to the Old Testament by Gesenius
- Hittite Dictionary ( The Oriental Institute of Chicago) - selected fascicles are available fulltext.
- Léxico de magia y religión en los papiros mágicos griegos - over 2500 words for magic and religion found in the editions of K. Preisendanz (Papyri Graecae Magicae) and R. Daniel and F Maltomini (Supplementum Magicum)
- Liddell-Scott-Jones Greek-English Lexicon
- Prinicipal Arabic Lexical Resources (CJK Dictionary Institute)
- Semantic Dictionary of Biblical Hebrew
- Whitaker's Words Online - Latin dictionary of approximately 39,000 entries. Can translate from Latin to English and English to Latin
- Chinese Characters: A Genealogy and Dictionary by Rick Harbaugh
- Principal Chinese Lexical Resources (CJK Dictionary Institute)
- Jeffrey's Japanese-English Dictionary
- Principal Japanese Lexical Resources (CJK Dictionary Institute)
Sanskrit, Pali, Tamil and other South Asian Languages
- Digital Corpus of Sanskrit - " is a searchable collection of lemmatized Sanskrit texts"
- Digital Dictionaries of South Asia - many south Asian Languages including Hindi, Bengali, Malayalam, Pali, Sanskrit and Urdu
- Imperial Gazetteer of India
- Hobson-Jobson: a glossary of Colloquial Anglo-Indian Words and Phrases and of Kindred Terms, Etymological, Historical, Geographical and Discursive
- Pali-English Dictionary ( Pali Text Society)
- Sanskrit, Tamil Dictionary Search - can search by Sanskrit, Tamil, or English word - consists of Cologne Digital Sanskrit Lexicon, Capeller's Sanskrit-English Dictionary and Cologne Online Tamil Lexicon.
- Sanskrit Dictionary - based on the work by Apte
- Sanskrit-Engish Dictionary - Monier-Williams
- Shorter English-Nepali Dictionary - by Major T. Warren
- Last Updated: Nov 16, 2019 5:05 PM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/religiousstudieswebguide
- Print Page