LAW Bankruptcy Law
The main legislation associated with Bankruptcy is the:
Regulations under this act:
- Bankruptcy and Insolvency General Rules (C.R.C., c. 368)
- Eligible Financial Contract General Rules (Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act) (SOR/2007-256)
- Orderly Payment of Debts Regulations (C.R.C., c. 369)
Also relevant is the:
Regulations under this act:
- Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Regulations (SOR/2009-219)
- Eligible Financial Contract Regulations (Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act) (SOR/2007-257)
You may also find yourself referring to the following, related federal statutes and regulations:
- Farm Debt Mediation Act, SC 1997, c 21.
- Farm Debt Mediation Regulations, SOR/98-168.
- Farm Debt Secured Creditors Notice Regulations (SOR/86-814)
- Wage Earner Protection Program Act, SC 2005, c 47, s 1.
- Wage Earner Protection Program Regulations, SOR/2008-222.
- Winding-up and Restructuring Act, RSC 1985, c W-11.
- Eligible Financial Contract Regulations (Winding-up and Restructuring Act) (SOR/2007-258)
Related Alberta Legislation
Bankruptcy is a federal issue but some provincial acts may be related and relevant to your research such as:
Other Provinces Related Legislation
A selection of provincial bankruptcy-related legislation outside Alberta.
Newfoundland and Labrador:
Prince Edward Island:
Legislation in Print
The above can also be found in print. Legislative materials on paper are located on the 1st floor of the law library, shelved in Ranges 93-123. Federal materials including bills, statutes, regulations, journals, committee reports and debates are available in print. This includes historic and current material. For more information on finding legislation please see our Canadian Legislation guide.
Finding Additional Statutes and Regulations
Many statutes are available electronically. Although content often mirrors content available in various databases, no source is totally comprehensive. When "noting up" check multiple resources for best results.
- Table of Public Statutes
- Update by tracking progress of Bills since date of Table of Public Statutes (see below)
- Loose-leaf services often include current consolidated statutes and regulations. Locate loose-leaf service by searching by subject
- Statutes for the current year are published in the Canada Gazette Part III
- Backset statutes are on the first floor (KE 88)
- Canada Legislative Index (KE31 .C36 Ref)
- Canada Statute Citator (green pages) (KF106 .C36 Ref)
- Canadian Current Law: Legislation (KE173 .C436 Ref)
- Current Bills are in Reserve (KE65 Senate; KE68 Commons)
- Backset Bills are on the 1st floor (same call numbers)
- Last Updated: Aug 4, 2020 8:09 PM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/c.php?g=699488
- Print Page