Finding the Evidence for Evidence Based Practice - Qatar
Tier 1 Resources
What are Clinical Practice Guidelines
- Clinical practice guidelines are recommendations for clinicians (nurses, physicians, dieticians, etc) about the care of patients with specific conditions. Clinical practice guidelines are based upon the best available research evidence and practice experience.
- Clinical practice guidelines, which should be routinely incorporated into EBP, are statements with recommendations for clinical practice that are rigorously developed based on systematic reviews of evidence and an evaluation of their benefits and harms (Melnyk, B. M., Grossman, D. C., Chou, R., Mabry‐Hernandez, I., Nicholson, W., Dewitt, T. G., Cantu, A. G., Flores, G., U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. (2012). USPSTF perspective on evidence‐based preventive recommendations for children. Pediatrics, 130(2), e399–e407. )
- The Institute of Medicine (IOM) defines clinical practice guidelines as "statements that include recommendations, intended to optimize patient care, that are informed by a systematic review of evidence and an assessment of the benefits and harms of alternative care options". (Institute of Medicine (US) Committee on Standards for Developing Trustworthy Clinical Practice Guidelines; Graham R, Mancher M, Miller Wolman D, et al., editors. Clinical Practice Guidelines We Can Trust. Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 2011. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK209539/ doi: 10.17226/13058)
Most clinical practice guidelines are open access (free) for all users.
Synopses of syntheses, summarize the information found in systematic reviews and other evidence. By drawing conclusions from evidence at lower levels of the pyramid, these synopses often provide sufficient information to support clinical action. Often short reviews including commentaries on the study and its methodology and results, and evaluation of the evidence.
Often these resources require a subscription through a library so are not free to use.
- Last Updated: Apr 11, 2018 5:51 AM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/CPD-QATAR
- Print Page