NURS612 - FAll 2020
What is Citation (aka Bibliographic) Software?
Bibliographic software allows you to create and track references (aka citations) and to create bibliographies or reference lists formatted in the appropriate style, such as APA. You can import relevant records from databases such as CINAHL, PsycINFO and Google Scholar in addition to many others. You can add abstracts, keywords and other functions that enhance and improve the efficiency of your project.
Most bibliographic software allows you to connect to your reference lists while writing your paper in Word.
How does bibliographic software save time?
- Create bibliographies and references almost instantaneously.
- Reduce the likelihood of duplicate citations by removing them
- Create your own critical abstracts, which is part of the the production of your work.
- Re-use or repurpose your own content over time.
- Search and organize your own database of references according to how you would use them.
- Embed footnotes, endnotes and within text citations.
What it won't do:
- It will not create a perfect bibliography or reference list according to your favorite style. You will still have to know APA, so it is a good idea to purchase APA Style Guide.
- It will not correct errors or omissions that were in the database from which you retrieved references. Garbage in, garbage out. If the data uploaded from Google Scholar is not correct, then your citation won't be correct either. You will always need to verify the information.
Endnote is a robust bibliographic software program
- The desktop version is not free, but can be purchased from the University's bookstore for $140.
- The web version is free, but not as robust as the desktop version
To learn more about Endnote, review this guide: Endnote
Mendeley is a free reference manager and academic social network that can help you organize your research, collaborate with others online, and discover the latest research.
- Freely available application that you can install on your desktop or use on the web
- Ability to sync your library across multiple computers, on the web, and on iPhone/iPad
- Works on any operating system
- Read and annotate PDFs
- Import and organize PDFs stored on your hard drive or other citation management software
- Collaborate with colleagues and share papers, notes and annotations
- Export to other citation management software, or create bibliographies instantly in 1000+ citation styles
Mendeley Desktop client must be downloaded to your computer. You can download the client on more than one computer.
Use Mendeley Desktop to sync with your Mendeley Web.
What Does Mendeley Desktop do:
- Import PDF articles with drag and drop
- The citation information will automatically be extracted and organized by title, author, year, journal name, etc. This information is only as accurate as what the publisher provides. It’s a good idea to check the citation information once you have imported it into Mendeley and correct any errors and/or omissions.
- Interfaces with Word to include in-text citations and seamlessly create your bibliography
- Install MS Word Plugin
- Organizes your library
- save articles in specific folders
Mendeley Web replicates your Mendeley desktop library, allowing you to add new documents, download your documents and manage your collections online.
What does Mendeley Web do?
- Import citations from databases (e.g. Google Scholar, PubMed, SportDiscus, etc)
- For the first time, go to www.mendeley.com/import. Drag the “Save to Mendeley” button to your bookmark toolbar.
- Find the article you want on the web. Click the “Save to Mendeley” bookmark. The article details will display on the right hand side of the page. If all looks good, click the “Save” button.
- The PDF (full text) may not upload into Mendeley (depends on access)
- Read, comment, and annotate PDFs (articles)
- Search for keywords in your fulltext articles
- Search for articles in Mendeley's online research catalog
- Click the "magnifying glass" beside your login name and search Mendeley's vast library
- Discover articles that are trending in your subject area
- Click "suggest" to see what articles are suggested that match your subject areas
- Search for or create public groups in your areas of interest
- Create a public profile to promote your work & contact other researchers around the world
What can't you do with Mendeley Web?
- Work with Word documents to insert citations & format citations & bibliographies.
- Drag and drop PDFs
Organizing Your Library
- Add papers to a folder by clicking on them in the main panel, and pressing the 'Add to' button which appears at the top of the center panel. Choose the appropriate folder using the popup menu which appears.
- Last Updated: Sep 30, 2020 11:24 PM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/c.php?g=719976
- Print Page