DIY Using Cricut
What is Cricut Explore Air?
- Cricut Explore Air is an electronic cutting machine for DIY projects and crafts.
- It has the most precise cutting, writing, and scoring technology
- It is able to cut, write and score 100+ different materials from paper to iron-on to adhesive vinyl, even thick materials like leather and burlap
- It comes with an online Design Space that is free, easy to learn and cloud based.
- It is easy for anyone to master
What can you do with it?
- Create your own home décor projects, like wall graphic and framed art
- Design and create holiday cards, gift tags, etc.
- Have fun with vinyl, design your own stickers
- There are 50+ free projects and 100+ free images available online
- It is free for you to upload and cut images
- Offers over 300 custom-designed font families
- Cutting range using mats: from 0.25’’ to 23.5’’
- Maximum materials thickness: up to 1mm for most materials, up to 2mm for less dense materials
- Free images to upload: .jpg, .png, .bmp, .gif, .svg, .dxf files
- Speed setting: automatically adjusts to image
- Able to access your projects from any computer
- Able to use system fonts on your computer
- Requires 8 steps to cut & score and cut & write; requires 19 steps to cut a 5 layered image
- Able to perform print then cut
How to use it?
- Go Cricut website: https://home.cricut.com/, click on Design on the top right corner
- Login or create a new account with Cricut using your email address, this will bring you to the Home screen
- From the Home screen, under My Project, you can get quick access to your latest projects; you can also browse featured projects from a variety of categories from this page
- From the Home screen, select any project to learn more about it, or start a project from scratch by selecting New Project
- Staring a new project brings you to the Canvas, where you lay out and edit your designs
- The Edit Bar on the Canvas located on the top part of the screen, it places the most useful tools for editing images and text within easy reach
- Select My Projects (top right corner of the screen) to access all your saved work
- Click on the Projects (at the left side of the Canvas) to access project library and browse ready-to-make projects
- You can also Upload (at the left side of the Canvas) image files
- At the right side of the Canvas, you can modify the layer properties for each layer of your design, this is very similar to Adobe Photoshop
- Click Make It on the Canvas when you’re ready to make your project
Cricut Explore Air Setup
- Turn on the machine by pressing the button at the top right corner
- For the Custom Personnalisable, based on the material that you are going to use, choose a material category
- Take a green pad, remove the plastic cover, then place the top left corner of the paper right onto the top left corner of the grid
- Open the machine by pressing the button on the left side
- Place the pad in the center, then press the up-down arrow button to load the pad. Give it a little push on the pad to help loading
- Once the pad is properly loaded, and you are ready to make your project, press the “C” button to start cutting
- When the project is finished, press the up-down arrow button to unload the pad.
- Last Updated: Nov 30, 2017 10:31 AM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/cricut
- Print Page