Education - ePortfolios
What is an ePortfolio?
“An ePortfolio (electronic portfolio) is an electronic collection of evidence that shows your learning journey over time. Evidence may include writing samples, photos, videos, research projects, observations by mentors and peers, and/or reflective thinking. The key aspect of an eportfolio is your reflection on the evidence, such as why it was chosen and what you learned from the process of developing your eportfolio.”
An ePortfolio is a “living document” which should be updated frequently, ensuring that it reflects who you are at this point in time.
Although the emphasis here is on the process, when someone asks to see your ePortfolio, they are generally looking for a presentation or “showcase”, which is usually a website. I’ll be using the terms ePortfolio and website interchangeably in this document.
(Content derived from “ePortfolios with Google Apps” goo.gl/jtWViI )
What kinds of ePortfolios are there?
- ePortfolios for Learning – emphasis is on reflection of the learning process over time
- ePortfolios for Assessment – emphasis is on the demonstration of learning for assessment
- ePortfolios for Professional Development – to showcase learning, skills, and achievements for personal and professional development (for example, to supplement a resume)
(Content derived from Virginia Tech University goo.gl/jvF4HE)
What can I put in my ePortfolio?
Here are some suggested web pages you could include in your ePortfolio:
- Welcome/Home Page - This is a good place to give an overview of the website and provide a summary of who you are and why you are a great teacher. You could also include a picture of yourself. example: goo.gl/r3FJSb
- Teaching Philosophy – definition and tutorial available here: goo.gl/cVSw9t
- Resume - example: goo.gl/Edh7qz
- Special Skills/Research/Area of Specialization
- Contact Page – goo.gl/m4sBAu
- + more
The following are some suggestions about what content you could include in your ePortfolio:
- Teaching Philosophy
- Evidences from participation in the Teaching Across Borders/Study Abroad/ International Experience
- Awards (scholarships, bursaries, graduate school)
- Professional Development (conferences, seminars, workshops, courses, degrees, certifications, licenses)
- Volunteer Work
- Lesson Plans
- Letters of recommendation and testimonials
- Feedback from instructors, peers or students
- Images, videos, audio recordings
- Last Updated: Jan 6, 2021 5:14 PM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/guides/education-eportfolios
- Print Page