Journal Article Processing Charge Discounts
Through library licensing agreements with certain publishers, APC discounts are available to University of Calgary authors interested in submitting to their open access journals:
- AAAS (American Association for the Advancement of Science). The journal Science Advances offers discounts.
- American Chemical Society. University of Calgary is an "ACS subscribing institution" so affiliated authors qualify for a $250 USD discount.
- Cambridge University Press. 20% discount. All gold OA or hybrid OA Cambridge journals are eligible. The discount is automatically applied when a researcher selects institutional affiliation as part of the submission process.
- Canadian Science Publishing. 50% discount. When submitting, please identify yourself as a University of Calgary researcher to qualify for the discount.
- Elsevier. University of Calgary-affiliated authors are eligible for a 20% discount on Article Processing Charges (APCs) for both hybrid and gold open access journals starting January 2021 (i.e., articles submitted on or after January 1, 2021). Cell Press, Lancet and some other society-owned journals are excluded. Contact Christie Hurrell for more details.
- PNAS (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences). The University of Calgary has a site license with PNAS; as such, authors are eligible for discounted open access fees.
- MDPI. 10% discount
- SAGE. Through the Canadian Knowledge Research Network, the University of Calgary is participating in two Open Access programs with SAGE:
- A "read and publish" deal with most "hybrid" open access journals (called SAGE Choice Journals) for the period 2021 to 2023. This allows University of Calgary authors publishing in all but 12 SAGE hybrid open access journals to publish papers open access at no cost to the individual. The 12 journals that are not participating can be found on the SAGE website, all others are part of the deal.
- A 40% discount on article publishing charges for select "gold" open access journals. The list of eligible journals can be found below. Please follow the instructions on the CRKN website to claim.
- SAGE has published a visual guide for navigating their open access portal. See the PDF link below.
- Taylor & Francis 25% discount in T&F Open Select journals. Please follow the instructions on the CRKN website to claim.
Open Access Authors Fund
As of October 1, 2018, the funds allocated to the Open Access Authors Fund for this fiscal year have been exhausted, and due to budget constraints will not be reinstated.
Open Access continues to be an important value for Libraries and Cultural Resources and we continue to support it in numerous ways:
- PRISM, our digital repository, allows authors to deposit versions of articles to make them openly accessible and compliant with funder policies on Open Access (for example the Tri-Agency Policy on Open Access to Publications)
- Our journal hosting service provides free hosting to Open Access scholarly journals
- Assisting academic authors in evaluating prospective publishing avenues and finding low- or no-cost ways of making works openly accessible
Libraries and Cultural Resources will continue to explore ways of supporting Open Access that are sustainable for both the University of Calgary and for the academic community globally. If you have specific questions, feel free to reach out to Christie Hurrell, Digital Initiatives and Scholarly Communications Librarian firstname.lastname@example.org or James Murphy, Research and Learning Librarian email@example.com.
Note about submissions to BioMedCentral and Hindawi
The Library had two pre-pay memberships with Open Access Publishers, BioMedCentral and Hindawi. Eligible manuscripts that were submitted to these two publishers prior to October 1, 2018 but have not yet been accepted for publication will still be covered by the Fund.
- Last Updated: Jul 7, 2021 11:44 AM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/guides/scholarlycommunication
- Print Page