Taylor Family Digital Library, 5th floor
The Graduate Commons is a shared space on the 5th floor of the TFDL with the intended purpose to provide space for graduate students who are at the stage of intensive research and writing. The Graduate Commons is considered an absolute quiet space within the Taylor Family Digital Library. When you have been granted access, you will be allowed to use the space during regular Library hours. http://hours.library.ucalgary.ca/
There is no after-hours access.
Who is eligible?
Any currently registered graduate student at the University of Calgary who is in good standing with their department and Libraries and Cultural Resources (LCR). Good standing means you have no outstanding fines or registration withholds and current fees have been paid in full.
How long can you use the room?
Successful applicants will be granted access to the Graduate Commons for a period of one semester at a time. All students are eligible to reapply for a spot when their access expires. Deadlines for applications are found on the Library website.
Term access includes:
- September to December
- January to April
- May to August
Applicants who are granted access will be assigned a locker in the Graduate Commons.
This room is located on the 5th floor of the Taylor Family Digital Library in the Alan MacDonald room.
Please click on the 'apply now' link below to apply. Successful applicants will be notified at their ucalgary.ca email address. Successful applicants will be chosen through a lottery system.
Students who do not meet the eligibility requirements are not able to apply.
- Access is granted for one semester at a time and spaces are awarded on a lottery system.
- Access is granted solely to the person on the application form. Allowing colleagues or other students to access the room through your U of C Unicard is strictly forbidden and will result in the applicant losing their own access.
- Students are required to ensure all library material is checked out on their cards if they intend to take it into the Graduate Commons for research use. Unchecked Items found in a student’s possession may result in fines of 5.00 per item.
- Students who lose the key to their assigned locker will be charged a $25.00 replacement fee.
- Access to the Graduate Commons space is through your University of Calgary Unicard access. If you lose your Unicard card you are responsible for replacing it and notifying LCR of the new updated card number. You must have your own Unicard to access the room. Staff cannot grant a temporary card.
- All study spaces are shared. Tables are available on a first come basis. Students are not assigned a specific space and cannot claim one as their own over the assigned term.
- LCR is not responsible for lost or stolen items. Please keep track of your personal belongings. Please do not leave items of a personal or valuable nature in your locker as this is still a public space.
- Programs are held in the Graduate Commons on a regularly scheduled, monthly basis. Please be aware of the schedule that is posted in the room. Should you require quiet study when these programs are being held you will need to find another space in the Library.
- Access to the room will expire at 5:00 p.m. on the last day of the assigned semester. All lockers must be cleaned out by this time and the key returned to designated location.
TFDL food and drink policy applies to this room.
Cold snacks and beverages with lids are permitted. Please be considerate of others and consume non-aromatic snacks. Food policy will be strictly enforced in this space.