The Open Access Authors Fund pays article processing fees (APCs) for articles in open access (OA) journals that use this funding method. Certain criteria apply.
Who is eligible?
- The fund is open to graduate students, faculty, staff, adjunct faculty, and postdoctoral researchers at the University of Calgary.
- Applicants must exhaust other funding sources (e.g. grants) to pay for APCs before applying.
- The first author on the article must be from the University of Calgary though there may be exceptions to this.
What is eligible?
- The fund will pay APCs for articles that have been accepted for publication in fully OA journals, where all of the content (articles, editorials, letters, appendices, data, etc), in all formats (HTML, pdf, etc), in all issues (current and older), is openly accessible.
- Articles that have been accepted for publication in hybrid OA journals will not be eligible for coverage by the fund, until at least the end of the 2014/2015 fiscal year (hybrid OA journals are those that still have subscriptions but which make individual articles openly accessible on payment of an APC).
- Journals/publishers that have differential charges for Creative Commons (CC) licenses will not be eligible.
- Authors who are submitting to the fund will need to complete the application form.
- Normally, applicants will know if their funding request has been approved within five business days.
- There is no limit to the number of applications an individual can make. One application covers one accepted paper.
- There is no limit to the amount of individual APCs.
- Payments are made on behalf of authors by Libraries and Cultural Resources (LCR) directly to the publisher. Applicants should keep all relevant paperwork and correspondence.
- Libraries and Cultural Resources will deposit a copy of funded articles in the University of Calgary institutional repository (DSpace).
Please see also:
Open Access Authors Fund FAQ
Payment by the Open Access Authors Fund
Articles published in BioMed Central (BMC) and Hindawi journals
Memberships with OA publishers
OA publishers that are eligible for coverage by the Open Access Authors Fund
Planning for publishing OA
Articles covered by the Open Access Authors Fund (under construction)
A brief history of the Open Access Authors Fund
Fund criteria changes, June 2014
For questions or comments, please contact:
Licensing and Negotiation Librarian/Open Access Librarian
Libraries and Cultural Resources
Last updated: June 26, 2014