The Open Access Authors Fund pays article processing fees (APCs) for articles in open access (OA) journals that use this funding method. Certain criteria apply.
Who is eligible?
- The fund is open to graduate students, faculty, staff, adjunct faculty, and postdoctoral researchers at the University of Calgary.
- Applicants must exhaust other funding sources (e.g. grants) to pay for APCs before applying.
- The first author on the article must be from the University of Calgary though we will sometimes make an exception to this.
What is eligible?
- The fund will pay APCs for articles that have been accepted for publication in fully OA journals that are listed in the Directory of Open Access Journals. Journals listed in the Directory have made a certain level of commitment to quality. Fully OA journals are journals where all of the content (articles, editorials, letters, appendices, data, etc), in all formats (HTML, pdf, etc), in all issues (current and older), is openly accessible. We will consider applications for Canadian OA journals that are new and haven’t had a chance yet to register with the Directory of Open Access Journals.
- Articles that have been accepted for publication in hybrid OA journals will not be eligible for coverage by the fund. (A hybrid open access journal is a journal that only makes some articles open access upon payment of an additional fee.)
- Journals/publishers that have differential charges for Creative Commons (CC) licenses will not be eligible.
What are the limits on the Fund?
- The fund will pay for two successful applications per fiscal year (April 1 - March 31)
- The fund will limit grants to a maximum of $2,500.00 USD per successful application.
- Libraries and Cultural Resources is committed to supporting open access publishing and ensuring opportunities for scholars and disciplines across the University to publish in open access journals. This support continues despite the decline in value of the Canadian dollar.
- Authors who are submitting to the fund will need to complete the application form.
- Normally, applicants will know if their funding request has been approved within five business days.
- One application covers one accepted paper.
- Payments are made on behalf of authors by Libraries and Cultural Resources (LCR) directly to the publisher. Applicants should keep all relevant paperwork and correspondence.
- Libraries and Cultural Resources will deposit a copy of funded articles into PRISM, the University of Calgary's institutional repository.
Please see also:
Open Access Authors Fund FAQ
Payment by the Open Access Authors Fund
Articles published in BioMed Central (BMC) and Hindawi journals
Memberships with OA publishers
Planning for publishing OA
A brief history of the Open Access Authors Fund
For more information, please contact:
Christie Hurrell, MA, MLIS
Digital Initiatives and Scholarly Communication Librarian
University of Calgary | Taylor Family Digital Library| 2500 University Drive | Calgary AB T2N 1N4