The Open Access Authors Fund will cover article processing charges (APCs) for articles in all Hindawi journals and most BioMed Central (BMC) journals (see also the Memberships with OA publishers page and the OA publishers that are eligible for coverage page). The procedures for these two publishers are different than with other publishers. Authors should follow these steps:
1) Submit to the BMC or Hindawi journal. Authors should use a computer with a University of Calgary IP address, note their University of Calgary email address, and indicate University of Calgary affiliation wherever possible. This should result in the article being attached to the University of Calgary account with the publisher.
2) The Digital Initiatives and Scholarly Communication Librarian or their designate will check this submission against the criteria for the Open Access Authors Fund. Authors will be contacted as to whether or not their article meets the Fund criteria. There may be further questions for authors at that time.
3) If an article does not meet the criteria for coverage by the Fund, it will be removed from the University of Calgary account at BMC or Hindawi. If the article is accepted for publication, APC payment will be the responsibility of the author.
4) If an article does meet the criteria for coverage by the Fund, the article will continue with peer review and editing functions at the publisher. Hopefully, it will be accepted for publication. Payment will occur behind the scenes. No invoicing will occur.
5) At time of publication, the only thing authors will need to do is to complete the online form for the Open Access Authors Fund. This will collect all the information needed by Libraries and Cultural Resources. The Digital Initiatives and Scholarly Communication Librarian or their designate will contact authors at publication time.
Back to the Open Access Authors Fund.
For more information, please contact:
Christie Hurrell, MA, MLIS
Digital Initiatives and Scholarly Communication Librarian
University of Calgary | Taylor Family Digital Library| 2500 University Drive | Calgary AB T2N 1N4