Interdisciplinary guide to key educational video resources
About Online Video Resources (UofC)
For a complete list of video databases see:
- All database types - Videos for additional streaming video resources as well as for streaming video included in other (e.g. primarily text) online resources. For a broader selection enter the search term "video" in the search in database box on the left side of the page. Although most of the resources listed are subscription resources, a few are freely available on the Web.
Online Video (UofC): Interdisciplinary
- Streaming video from Films Media Group
- >4,600 videos on topics in the social sciences, TED Talks, arts & humanities, science, mathematics, health, business, economics, and career counseling.
- Special features: ability to organize and bookmark clips, share playlists...
- We have a subscription which allows educational public performance rights, that is, classroom use of the films on the NFB web site for the University of Calgary.
Online Video (UofC): Health Sciences
- A teaching resource consisting of 18 anatomy and system specific videos. Each video shows a step-by-step examination.
- Provides access to over 700 health-related videos from partner Healthology, Inc.
- Includes transcripts of the videos
Online Video (UofC): Hum./Social Sci.
- Offers thousands of American history streaming video title on topics ranging from jazz music to social issues.
- Allows students and researchers to analyze historical events, and the presentation of historical events over time, through commercial and governmental newsreels, archival footage, public affairs footage, and important documentaries.
Counseling and Therapy in Video v. I and v. II
- Offers hundreds of streaming video titles for the study of social work, psychotherapy, psychology, and psychiatric counseling.
- Offers hundreds of the most frequently assigned films in anthropology, ethnography, and social psychology courses.
- Targeted for inclusion are works by world-famous pioneers in the field, including Edward Curtis (In the Land of the War Canoes); Robert Flaherty (Nanook of the North together with his article, “How I Filmed Nanook of the North”); John Marshall (The Hunters, the entire !Kung Bushman Series; A Kalahari Family); Jean Rouch; Margaret Mead and Gregory Bateson; Robert Gardner (Dead Birds, Rivers of Sand, Forest of Bliss); Timothy Asch, Patsy Asch, and Napoleon Chagnon (the complete Yanomamo Series, The Ax Fight); and Asen Balikci.
- Includes field notes, liner notes, filmmaker biographies, related articles, study guides, and other context-enhancing, full-text materials.
- >1,750 English-language documentaries
- Survey of human history from the earliest civilizations to the fall of the Berlin Wall
- Global in scope: Africa, Americas, Asia, Europe, Middle East and Oceania
Online Video (UofC): Visual/Perf. Arts
- Offers hundreds of streaming video titles from the 20th century
- Selections cover ballet, tap, jazz, contemporary, experimental, and improvisational dance, as well as forerunners of the forms and the pioneers of modern concert dance..
- Over 1200 films ot classical music programs.
- Offers hundreds of opera performances captured on video through staged productions, interviews, and documentaries..
Theatre in Video (Includes complete works of Shakespeare)
- Contains performances of the world's leading plays and film documentaries on the subject of theater in streaming video.
- Last Updated: Mar 22, 2018 1:08 PM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/guides/video
- Print Page