Libraries & Cultural Resources COVID-19 Update
Contactless Book Pick Up
The University of Calgary Libraries are accepting the return of materials at the Taylor Family Digital Library foyer (Monday to Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm).
Contactless book pickup is available at the Taylor Family Digital Library.
This service is limited to University of Calgary Faculty, staff and students. Our University community will now be able to request books that are in our physical library collections including the TFDL and our branch libraries. Requested items will be picked for you and made available for contactless pickup at the Taylor Family Digital Library Monday to Thursday 9:00 am to 9:00 pm, Friday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Sunday 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm.
This page has information about this service and will be updated regularly as new details about the service are available.
- Contactless book pickup means you can place requests on a maximum of 10 physical items that you want from any of the University of Calgary Libraries, including the HDL. We will pull these items for you and have them ready for you for contactless pickup at the Taylor Family Digital Library usually within three to four business days.
- You will receive an email notification when your books are ready for pickup. Do not come to the University until you have received a notification. You will need to pick up your items within seven (7) days of receiving the email notification. Please watch our video in advance of picking up your items.
- When you come to the library to pick up your materials you will find them organized alphabetically by your last name in a bag on a table. Pick up the bag and proceed out the exit. The items are already signed out to your UCID card.
- All items are subject to recall which means that if someone else requests an item that you have, you may be requested to return it. You can always request the item again if you still need it. Fines will be incurred beginning August 31 if recalled material is not returned.
- Material should be returned to the Taylor Family Digital Library foyer (Monday to Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm)
- For your health and safety, we quarantine items for 72 hours.
Before submitting your request
- You are limited to having a maximum of 10 items on hold on your account at a time.
- Each request requires at least 2-3 business days to process before an email will be sent informing you that your items are available for pickup. Do not come to the library ahead of time as you will not be permitted access
- Books will be pulled by Library staff and made available to the requestor while adhering to health and safety guidelines.
Submitting your Request
- On the library website, sign in to your library account
- Click on New Search in the menu bar and then search for items you wish to borrow in the search box on our library website https://library.ucalgary.ca
- Once you have your list of results, use the drop down menu from the search box and select UofC Collections to limit to physical items in our collection.
- Click on the link to the location of your desire title
- Click “Request”
- The Request link will be under Get It then at the top of the Request Options section
- The default pickup location will be the Taylor Family Digital Library
- Click REQUEST
- You will only be able to request a maximum of 10 items at a time on your account.
Picking Up your Library Materials: About Contactless Book Pickup
How will contactless book pickup work?
Starting Monday August 10th we will begin offering contactless book pickup at the Taylor Family Digital Library Monday to Friday between 9:00am and 5:00pm.
Here’s how it works:
- Place holds online through our website at library.ucalgary.ca. The Taylor Family Digital Library will be the default pickup location. You will be limited to placing up to ten items on hold at any one time
- You will be notified by email when your materials are available for pickup
- Once you receive your email, you will have up to seven days to come in to pick up your materials
- Access to the contactless book pickup is on the west side of the Taylor Family Digital Library (off of the TFDL Quad) so that individuals coming to pick up their items can maintain appropriate physical distancing.
- Pick up hours will be Monday to Friday between 9:00am and 5:00pm.
- Please do not come to campus until you have received an email notification from the library telling you that your items are ready
- The materials will be automatically signed out to you, you will simply have to pick them up off of the appropriate table.
Returning Your Library Materials
When and where can I return my library materials?
The exterior book drop on the east side of the Taylor Family Digital Library is temporarily closed.
What can I return?
Please return your library materials to the Taylor Family Digital Library during building hours: Monday to Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm. A small temporary return will be located on the west side of the TFDL if you are unable to visit during building hours. It has limited capacity, so if at all possible, please return during the week.
When I return materials in the book return, how long will it take before my account is updated?
When items are returned, they are quarantined for 72 hours before they are checked back into our system. Items may remain on your account for a few days before we are able to process your return. We appreciate your patience and no fines will accrue during this return period.
Will I be charged late fees if I don’t return my books right now?
Beginning August 31, 2020, we will begin charging fines for materials that are not returned.
What are the hours of the contactless book pickup service?
The hours of operation of the contactless book pickup service are Monday to Friday between 9:00am and 5:00pm.
How long will it take to get my holds?
This depends on the availability of the items and or the number of individuals ahead of you on the request list. As we are slowly returning to the circulation of physical materials, it may take longer than usual to get your items. Thank you for your patience.
How long will I have to pick up my hold(s)?
You will have one week (7 days) to pick up your holds.
Can I pick up holds for my family? Can someone else pick up my holds for me?
You must present UCID when picking items up.
How long can I borrow materials for? Will I be charged late fees?
The loan periods for library items remain the same and we are encouraging everyone to return their items when requested to reduce wait times for others. However, if you are unable to return you items please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Beginning August 31, 2020, we will begin charging fines for materials that have been recalled and not returned.
I want to use other library services or branches. When will I be able to?
As we work through the health and safety protocols to ensure the health and safety of our customers and staff at this time, you are only able to:
- Pickup up requested books
- Use booked computer stations
- Use booked study space
You are not able to:
- Come in to ask a research question in person
- Come in to access the Glenbow Wesetern Research Centre
- Come in to access the Nickle Galleries
- Access the branch libraries on campus (Bennett Jones Law Library, Business Library, Doucette Library, Gallagher Library, or the Health Sciences Library)
We are working on a phased approach and will update our library website.
Ensuring the Safety of Customers and Staff
With the delivery of the contactless book pickup, the health and safety of our staff and University community is our top priority.
We are following the guidance set out by the Province of Alberta, the University of Calgary Crisis Management Team and other health experts, following best practices within the library and retail industry for the safe delivery of services.
Here are some of the measures we have put in place:
- Staff are wearing Personal Protectve Equipment (PPE) when required
- Returned materials are quarantined for 72 hours or more until they are safe to circulate to meet or exceed the requirements put in place by the Province of Alberta
- Contactless pickup has proper physical distancing protocols in place
- Intensive cleaning of the library has been completed in advance
- Regular cleaning and hand washing protocols are in place.
If you are interested in using our contactless book pickup, here are additional steps you can take:
- Wear a mask
- Keep a distance of 6 feet (2 metres) from others when picking up or returning materials
- Wash and sanitize your hands often.
- Last Updated: Jun 9, 2021 12:56 PM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/guides/covid-19
- Print Page