Guide to key sources for research in Religion
Buddhism: Research Databases
Bibliography of Asian Studies: References western-language monographs, articles and book chapters on all parts of Asia.
JSTOR Journals: JSTOR offers a high-quality, interdisciplinary archive to support scholarship and teaching.
Historical Abstracts: Core index to History journals
Middle Eastern and Central Asian Studies - "is a systematic and non-evaluative bibliographic index of research, policy and scholarly discourse on the countries and peoples of the Middle East, Central Asia and North Africa. This database contains more than 332,790 records and coverage spans from 1900 and earlier to present."
National Diet Library (note also searches NDL Periodical Index, CiNii Articles and J-STAGE (digital material)
Tibetan: Encyclopedias and Dictionaries
- Encyclopedia of Religion
- Companion Encyclopedia of Asian Philosophy
- see Chapter 19: Buddhism in Tibetan
- also available in print: Call Number: B 121 C66 1997 | Location
- Encyclopedia of Asian Philospohy
Call Number: B 121 E53 2001 | Location
- Encyclopedia of Buddhism
Call Number: BQ 128 E52 1961 | Location
- in progress, v. 1 to v.8 fasc 3 (Vaca--Zhong-a-han)
- see v. 6 Mahayana in Tibet p. 542-548
- Encyclopedia of Buddhism - "this 2-vol. set explores the history of Buddhism, the different forms it has taken in different parts of the world, and how Buddhism has blended with other religions like Shinto, Confucianism, Daoism, Islam, and Christianity."
The Many Canons of Tibetan Buddhism DS785 .A1 I56 9TH 2000 v.10 | Location
Buddhist Scriptures: a bibliography (Conze)
Call Number: BQ 1105 .C64 1982 | Location
- key source for locating texts and criticism
Der Buddhistische Kanon: eine bibliographie
Call Number: BQ 1130 .G85 1984 | Location
- Tibetan Tripitaka, Sde dge, Bstan hgyur. (Tanjur) Dbu ma. Tokyo: Sekai Seiten Kanko Kyokai, 1977- 1979. 17 v. (BQ 1270 1977). Location
- Tibetan Tripitaka, Sde dge, Bstan hgyur. (Tanjur) Sems tsam. Tokyo: Sekai Seiten Kanko Kyokai, 1979- 1981. 16 v. (BQ 1270 1979). Location
- Tibetan Tripitaka, Sde dge, Bstan hgyur. (Tanjur) Tshad ma. Tokyo: Sekai Seiten Kanko Kyokai, 1981- 1989. 20 v. (BQ 1270 1981). Location
- Lhasa Kanjur. Tibetan. Stony Brook, New York: Institute for Advanced Studies of World Religions, 1979. 2465 microfiche (BQ 1260 A1). Location
- Cone Tanjur. Stony Brook, New York: Institute for Advanced Studies of World Religions, n.d. 2226 microfiche (BQ 1270 I57). Location
- The Tibetan Tripitaka. Taipei, Taiwan: SMC Publishing, 1991- 72v. (BQ 1250 B37 1991). Location
- Asian Classics Input Project - Kangyur, Tengyur and Sungbum texts displayed in romanized Tibetan and in Tibetan character
Tibetan Religious Works: P.L. 480 / SFC Collection (BL 1945 T5 T53 1972) Location: Tibetan extra-canonical texts that became available when Tibetans fled from Tibet to India where they producd the literaure in book form. Arranged by LMpj number and R or SB number.
1) author catalogue on first 22 fiche of the collection. Consists of catalog cards with the LMpj and/or R number written on the left-hand side of the card.
2) A Catalogue of the United States Library of Congress Collection of Tibetan Literature in Microfiche (BL 1945 T5 L52 1983 ) Location - provides author arrangement. Volume 1 gives R or SB numbers; volume 2 lists SB or LMpj numbers and contains an index by major series.
3) First Cummulative Dictionary Catalog of Tibetan Works in the Library of the Institute for Advanced Studies of World Religions (BQ 7610 R63 1985) Location - provides author, title and subject index to selected works in the libray of the IASWR. The LMpj number is provided for those works in the microfiche collection.
4) PL 480 Microfiche Edition of Tibetan Literature OnlineSearch - can search by key word using Wylie transcription system for Tibetan characters.
5)Tibetan Buddhist Resource Center - Can search or browse through the digitized Tibetan texts (over 40,000 works are in the database). Full text digital copies are available at a nominal charge from the Tibetan Buddhist Resource Center. For some of the texts the PL 480 number is noted.
Tibetan Buddhism: Bibliographies
- Bibliography of Tibetan Studies
Call Number: DS786 .B53 1986 | Location
- Bibliography on East Asian Religion and Philosophy
Call Number: BL 51 .B748 2001 | Location
- Guide to Buddhist Philosophy
Call Number: B 152 I52 1985: | Location
- Guide to Buddhist Religion
Call Number: BQ 4012 R49 1981 | Location
- classified arrangement with subject index
- good source for locating material on various aspects of Buddhism
- Bibliographie Bouddhique v. 1 - v. 32
Call Number: BQ 4014 B53 | Location
- v. 32 is a subject index to v. 24-31; v. 23 indexes v.7-23
- Listing of works in the library of the Dhagpo Kagyu Ling
- Last Updated: May 18, 2018 3:36 PM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/guides/religion
- Print Page