HathiTrust Digital Library Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS)
The University of Calgary Libraries and Cultural Resources (LCR) is pleased to announce that we have signed the agreement and are now participants in the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS), which is temporarily available to HathiTrust members.
During the continuing Covid19 emergency and the restricted physical access to our collections, Faculty and Students have online reading access to more than 1.2 million in-copyright digitized items which is about 33% our physical collections. This temporary access is in addition to the normal and continuing access we have to the public domain corpus.
The temporary service includes:
- Access to the HathiTrust digitized copy of a physical book that is held in our collection
- Online reading of “Temporary Access” books
- Each copy of a title in our physical collection allows one “checkout”
- Checkout is 1 hr, automatically renewed on an hourly basis if you are still loading new pages (reading) from the book.
- Downloading of “Temporary Access” titles is not available
- Service is in place during the disruption of access to the Library’s physical collections
The Temporary Access Service will display as a location in the Discovery system
Most records will have a clickable link through to the item:
The entire Hathi Digital Library is accessible via HathiTrust Website. If a record provides a location but does not contain a link, please search via the HathiTrust website.
Important note: As per the terms of agreement with HathiTrust, the items available online in the HathiTrust Collection through ETAS cannot be available for loan and borrowed in their physical format.
Founded in 2008, HathiTrust is a not-for-profit collaborative of academic and research libraries preserving millions digitized items. Libraries and Cultural Resources has been a member since 2012.
Digital works that have been made available through HathiTrust’s Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS) are solely for the use of a student, staff member, faculty member or library patron of a participating Canadian institution solely for the purposes of research, private study, education, parody, satire, criticism or review. By using the ETAS, you agree not to download, reproduce, affix, distribute, transmit, disseminate, communicate, or make any other use of works obtained through the ETAS. Any such use may be an infringement of copyright if done without securing the permission of the copyright owner.
You may not distribute, email or otherwise communicate any materials obtained through the ETAS to any other person.
- Last Updated: Aug 5, 2020 7:06 AM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/hathitrust-access
- Print Page