Digital Media Mentors
Job Location: Taylor Family Digital Library, University of Calgary (remote work not a possibility for this position)
Please note that this position is contingent on public health measures allowing the Taylor Family Digital Library to be fully operational.
Job Description: This is a casual student position; shifts will vary in length between 4 and 7 hours and will be scheduled 7 days/week between 10am and 5pm during the week, and 12pm and 4pm on weekends. Please ensure you submit your availability for Fall 2021 and Winter 2022 semesters. Preference will be given to applicants who can commit to full day shifts and a regular schedule.
The Digital Media Mentors provide operational and client support for Lab NEXT and the Makerspace, which are all co-located on the third floor of the Taylor Family Digital Library. The Digital Media Mentors provide a variety of supports for clients using technology-rich library spaces and software including:
- Mac Pro and PC workstations with applications such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Premier Pro, Blender, Maya, 3DS Max and Rhino
- Makerspace with 3D printers and scanners, Arduino and Raspberry Pis, Carvey CNC Milling Machine, sewing/embroidery machines, and vinyl cutter
- A/V Edit suites with microphones and midi keyboards, Logic Pro, Garage Band, Pro Tools, & Audacity
- A variety of virtual reality hardware and software applications (HTC Vive, Oculus, Steam)
- Game dev tools (Unreal Engine, Unity)
- Photography and Video production
The position plays an important role in ensuring the smooth daily operations of Lab NEXT. This requires working closely with students, faculty, staff and members of the public.
Accountabilities, Tasks, and Duties include:
- Ensuring technical systems are fully functional and available to users whenever the spaces are open to the public.
- Ensuring equipment and area is clean and presentable
- Diagnosing and correcting simple hardware problems
- Assisting users with both hardware and software problems
- Users are courteously provided with information and advice about programs and services offered by the TFDL.
- Users are provided training in the use of various technologies with the goal being user competence and independence.
- Users are provided with necessary technical assistance to operate audio/visual and digital media equipment.
- Respond to and refer clients looking for library services appropriately.
- Ensure users are observing policies and procedures when using Lab NEXT facilities, and booking and using equipment.
- Design and facilitate workshops for students on digital media related topics.
Assist users with Virtual Reality use and ensure they follow safety guidelines.
Process and troubleshoot 3D print jobs.
Communications / Relationships
- Tracking usage of technologies and applications
- Collecting examples of digital media creations completed using technologies for promotional purposes
- Informing Manager of emergencies and new developments in a timely manner
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ensuring that the Manager is kept informed of activities and progress of work; shares information regarding projects and activities with others
- Collaborate and communicate directly with staff working in other service points in the TFDL
- MUST be a current University of Calgary student
- Intermediate/Expert proficiency in the use of one or more digital media applications such as: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premier Pro, Final Cut, 3DS Max, Blender, Maya, AutoCAD, SketchUP, Pro Tools, Unreal Engine, Unity, Logic Pro, Pro Tools, or any others
- Intermediate/Expert proficiency in the use of one or more makerspace technologies such as: 3D printers, CNC milling machines, sewing machines, Arduinos or Raspberry Pis
- Completion of some courses in Computer Science, Engineering, Fine Arts, Sonic Arts or a related discipline - or knowledge gained from other experiences!
- Strong background in Mac OS and Windows environments
- Excellent skills in working with people in a problem solving and support environment
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Experience setting up and installing hardware and software
- Experience with troubleshooting and support of computer equipment
- Experience with gaming hardware (PC, console, handheld)
Pay is $17.58/hour
Please email the following documentation (preferably as one file) to email@example.com
- Cover letter
- Class schedule/availability for fall 2021 and winter 2022 semesters
- Last Updated: Sep 9, 2021 12:03 PM
- URL: https://library.ucalgary.ca/mentor
- Print Page